Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamilcar\'s Battles In Sicily
I wanted to ask if anyone knows of any detailed accounts of Hamilcar Barca's campaigns in Sicily during the 1st Punic War.I haven't come across any,& all the written accounts i've come across gloss over it.After reading 2 or 3 accounts of the man's originality in Theodore Ayrault Dodge's book on Hannibal,it definitely shows that the man was a highly skilled general,nearly as brilliant as his son or perhaps even equalling him.There is no doubt where Hannibal got part of his military ability from.One could imagine what wealth of military knowledge the man could have imparted,as he was able to keep the Romans at bay till the end of the war while his country was edging closer to defeat.Replies would be very much appreciated. <p></p><i></i>
Hi,<br>
You were certainly born in a feared family! Welcome to the board and please keep on posting in the amount you've been doing.<br>
About the 'glossing over' of Hamilcar Barca, have you read Lazenby's The First Punic War (London 1996)? This book is one of the most recent and most extensive accounts about the first war, longer in pages anyway than in Goldsworthy.<br>
I'm not sure if it (or any other book for that matter) will satisfy you about the level of detail however. Our sources are much more scarce for this war than for the next, you see. We only have the first book of Polybius' Histories, some fragments of Livy (his account is alomst completely lost), fragments of books 23 and 24 of the Library of History by Diodorus Siculus and passages in for instance Appian, Diodorus of Halicarnassus and Frontinus.<br>
Different source material makes for a different account, always the historian's problem!<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ujasperoorthuys.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Jasper Oorthuys</A> at: 7/1/01 8:17:21 am<br></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Thanks for the reply Jasper. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  death of Hamilcar Barka teg 6 2,478 07-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Na Saighdiuir