Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punishments
Hi all!<br>
<br>
Okay, I'm home watching "Starship Troopers" one evening, and I'm at the part where our hero is being triced-up and bullwhipped and I'm wondering, as I so often do, "How, exactly, did the Roman army do this?" You hear much about the bad old centurio with his vine staff and you see the TV reenactments of the punishment being inflicted upon the legionary while still in his armor. There are not many detailed descriptions of it because, most probably, it simply wasn't a big deal, except with "Ol' Gimme 'Nuther." I wonder if the Roman floggings were solomn, orderly exercises with the units drawn-up into ranks, the offence being read aloud and the punishment being inflicted, or if it was more of an on-the-spot thrashing about the head and shoulders. If the latter be true, what would stop the unfortunate fellow on the buisiness end of the vitis from getting-up and simply running away from said thrashing, with the centurio in hot persuit? Not a terribly important question in the face of the development of Roman military tactics and so forth, but it does help paint a picture. <p>...or not.</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=thecaesariansection>The Caesarian Section</A> at: 5/1/01 4:23:35 am<br></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
Heinlein has incorporated quite a few Roman military practices in his future army portrayed in <i> Starship troopers</i>, eg connection of citizenship to military service and units named after their commanders.<br>
<br>
There appear to have been distinct forms of corporal punishment in the imperial army. Next to formal punishment for a set range of offences there was also informal punishment for lesser offences and that was not to the death.<br>
<br>
According to Polybius (book 6.37-38) the formal punishment of <i> xylokopia</i> or <i> fustuarium</i> was carried out in the camp (at the central <i> forum</i>?) and after one of the tribunes delivered the first blow all the other troops joined in to beat the condemned man. He also mentions that some escaped being beaten to death, which appears to imply that the condemned soldier was able to run away. The centurions are not mentioned in these formal punishments and it seems that the higher ranking <i> tribuni</i> were in charge of such matters.<br>
<br>
The trashing by centurions seems to have been more a more informal form of corporal punishment (perhaps distinguished as <i> castigatio</i> from the more formal <i> fustuarium</i>) and administered for other offences than Polybius sums up as being punishable by cudgeling. It was forbidden for soldiers to raise their hand against the rod (<i> vitis</i> / <i> virga</i>)of a centurion/decurion and capital punishment was attached to breaking of the officer's staff. What the consequences were of running away to avoid a beating rather than actively resisting blows I do not know.<br>
<br>
Roman discipline was harsh in theory, but the sources indicate that in practice a more lenient attitude prevailed unless some stern disciplinarian wanted to set examples. Units did break in battle and were not always punished for that according to the rigid regulations described by the Polybian histories.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 5/7/01 8:20:50 am<br></i>
I'm no expert on such things, but it seems to me that it would have been an incredibly disgracful thing to run away from a punishment and that that alone would keep them from doing so. Not to mention their pride would have been hurt extremly. Just a thought from a novice....<br>
~Quintus <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
That is correct. Polybius describes the great infamy attached to survivors of the <i> fustuarium</i>. Nevertheless some men seem to have preferred hurt pride to death and to have run away.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Decimation was also used in the most extreme circumstances. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Later Roman Military Punishments Nathan Ross 30 7,497 12-26-2016, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Flavius Inismeus