Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excavation at Colchester
Salve,<br>
I recently read about an excavation at Colchester/Camulobunum in Archaeolgy. It mentioned very<br>
briefly that the destruction meeted out by Boudicca was<br>
very complete and included the total burning down of the<br>
clay-brick buildings. Does anyone have additional updated<br>
information on the excavation, what artifacts are being<br>
recovered or...?<br>
Thanks,<br>
Allectus <p></p><i></i>
as far as I'm aware nothing especially new has been added to what is known about the Boudican destruction of Colchester- but if I hear of anything I'll pass it on <p></p><i></i>
Salve Vardulli,<br>
Yes, please keep me posted if anything new comes up. It is<br>
more or less a salvage excavation with a cinema slated to be<br>
built on that location so I really don't expect that anything of great importance will be found ...but one never<br>
knows.<br>
Thanks,<br>
Allectus <p></p><i></i>
most of the archaeology in Colchester is 'rescue'<br>
<br>
which is a pity since there is a nice fort opposite the temple complex.....<br>
<br>
now where's me trowel [just kidding] <p></p><i></i>
Hi Allectus<br>
<br>
Just found this discussion board, despite being told about by my Optio on several occasions.<br>
<br>
I was able to volunteer as an excavator on the Colchester site. The Boudiccan destruction layer was very obvious, with some nice pieces of wall surviving. One piece that had survived rather well was lifted to be conserved and hopefully displayed sometime in the future at Colchester Castle Museum. Of more interest to me was the exposure of what is called the military plinth. This was from the pre-colonia fort, and was the foundation for a large building. Precisely what the building was used for is not yet clear, as more really needs to be exposed. It is large enough for a hospital or granary, but is in the wrong place for the Principia.<br>
A town house was also excavated and a previously discovered bath/plunge pool re-exposed and lifted for preservation - probably 3rd or 4th Century in date. As Vardulli has mentioned, not a lot else has been added to the knowledge of pre-Boudiccan Colchester, but a bit more or the street plan has now been filled in, as so to speak. The post-Boudiccan town did, however, have what appears to be a colonnaded street, although the columns were wooden, with evidence still in situ (now all gone under the bulldozers ram!). Hope this is of some interest, but the most recent excavation finds from Colchester town centre are now on display in the Castle Museum, but they are from a different site excavated a couple of years ago when the old Co-Op was redeveloped. <p></p><i></i>
in thursday local<br>
there was a piece about the dig at St Marys, where they are hoping to find a Romano-celtic temple <p></p><i></i>
Shouldn't be too difficult as they have good evidence from earlier excavations in the area that there will be a Romano-celtic temple there. However, will be interesting to see what does turn up. <p></p><i></i>
Salve Lucius Cassius,<br>
Appreciate the update on Colchester. Many thanks.<br>
Bene vale,<br>
Allectus <p></p><i></i>
Please ignore this. <p></p><i></i>