Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mess halls
We reenactors were discussing kit, and a Samian potter in the UK mentioned that he felt a large flat plate would be typical for use by a legionary. I can't imagine a legionary carrying Samian ware on his back, and not sure about it in barracks. This also brought up the question of eating in barracks. Were there mess halls per se in a Roman fort? I don't remember seeing them on any plans, though there is usually one building the function of which seems foggy.<br>
How did food get portioned out while in the fort? Was it cooked in contubernium mess? somewhere else? <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I dont remember seeing any mess halls in plans of forts- the believe is that they cooked their food in the barracks.<br>
<br>
However re M read<br>
was cooked in cummunal ovens<br>
each contiburnia [?] had a bread stamp. when they handed over their flour the loaf was stamped before it went into the oven, so that they could claim it later <p></p><i></i>
I'm afraid that I cannot answer any questions about mess halls, but lurking in the recesses of my brain is a picture of a barrack house with hearths. I think it may have been Arbeia.<br>
<br>
Nonetheless, Paul Tyers has a short description of the pottery industry in Britain that is associated with military sites. When you consider that scale of the kilns at Usk and Longthorpe, and the use of immigrant potters, it appears the demand from the military was high. However, this doesn't answer the question of what was used when the troops were on campaign or exercise. Wooden bowls would be lighter to carry and considerably less prone to damage, but this would ignore the evidence for the use of patera.<br>
<br>
(Paul Tyers 'Roman Pottery in Britain', Routledge 1996: pp.56-68 ) <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/uluciuscassius.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Lucius Cassius</A> at: 4/24/01 4:09:50 pm<br></i>