Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When was the Germania Campaign really?
Was it really under Marcus Aurelius. He was one of the "great 4 (or 5) emporers". I wanted to reaserch a campaign under one of those four emporers, and wanted to know about some of them. <p><i><font color="black"><b>Romulus Agustulus, Ceaser of Rome and president of UPURS<br><marquee>All for the Glory of Rome!</marquee></i><br>My homepage</p><i></i>
Hello Ag,<br>
<br>
Perhaps as a consequence of having removed 3 legions from the Rhine-Danube frontier for his co-emperor Lucius Verus' eastern campaigns against the Parthians, Marcus Aurelius was forced to fight an almost constant struggle to hold the western frontiers, starting in the 160s all the way through his (natural) death in 180 CE, while on campaign against the Marcomanni and their Sarmatian allies.<br>
<br>
Commodus, who was apparently with Marcus Aurelius when he died, abandoned his father's efforts to annex Sarmatia and the Marcommanic lands. He concluded a hasty peace and returned to Rome to celebrate his "triumph" and commence 12 years of misrule and neglect.<br>
<br>
(That's the kernel of truth that's at the heart of Gladiator, by the way. Just a tiny kernel, though; the rest is historical chaff, Hollywood make-believe.)<br>
<br>
Commodus did, however, fancy himself a gladiator, among other delusions.<br>
<br>
For further reading, try finding this book:<br>
<br>
Anthony Birley, <i> Marcus Aurelius: a Biography</i>, published by Routledge and recently reprinted. (Your library might not have this but you can surely get it at Amazon.com, and in paperback which is cheaper.)<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson