Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New event: 1st annual route march by the Erie Canal
Quote:Cry
Robert's feet were hurting him too much.

It's hard to figure out the SCA. If we were banging on each other, maybe then they would be more interested. I just cannot get myself to make up a set of plastic armour.

I have spent a couple of years dabbling with the SCA in the Rochester area and have to agree with you. I have found that within the Thesscorean group there are two camps, the fighters and the Arts and Science . Both are at odds with each other , always bickering and sniping at each other and within each of the two main groups there are also factions at war with each other. None of the groups are serious reenactors and I believe you are wasting your time trying to find people serious enough to reenact roman there. About the only thing they reenact seriously is the court intrigue aspect of the middle ages and they take that a little too far. They forget it's only a game or a hobby and despite the anacronism part of their name they do not embrace new ideas or even new people very well. I think that they will eventually drive you away rather than embrace your roman persona. I think that your recruitng efforts might be more fruitful in other venues, there are something like 17 local colleges and universities within the Rochester area. Perhaps some serious students of history or professors might work out better.
I'm planning on doing the march by the canal by myself a few times this year, but this time I want to have cards to hand out. Few people saw the flyer that I posted on Shoen Place.

By the way, how is your roman kit coming along? Do you need any help? The two of us should get together again.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Kit's coming along slowly. I've ground out a gladius blade but think I'm going to do some more work on it as it is a little too heavy yet. I will probably give it a distal taper to cut down on the weight and make it a little less tip heavy. I've also hammered out a helmet top and got it welded up. I just need to trim it an weld on the tail piece.
I assume that you're making the gladius from a single piece of metal, versus a sanwich of different grades of metal. Are you going to heat treat the steel? By the way, what kind of steel are you using? Please post some pictures of your efforts to the legio XXX yahoo group.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
The gladius will be a pompeii. The blade started out as a 1/4 inch thick piece of 0-1 . I had the tip and tang portion cut out at my sons shop with a plasma cutter (a hefty 5/8 inch wide tang here, no welded rod for my tang) and ground in the flattened diamond cross section. After I regrind the blade to get the distal taper I will heat-treat it in my forge and temper in an oven to draw back the hardness a bit. I have finally found a good source of bone for the handle and plan on cleaning them out of all their usable bone. The helmet top is formed from 18 gauge steel. I dished the two hemispheres and welded them together with my mig welder. What an absolute pain to get a decent weld on such thin metal over a large curved surface. I had to grind and weld three times before it turned out good enough. I just have to get a good straight line all the way around the top, mark the ear cutouts and the neck guard and cut it out. This is going to be an Imperial Itallic that is sized perfectly to my nearly round Dutch head, I can't wait! I have a few pictures already of the process and will post them as I complete each item.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Annual Summer Roman Event in Chicago kevair464 1 1,358 02-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Neuraleanus