Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Claudius. Good Book?
Our latin teacher keeps recommending I Claudius as a read. I wanted to know who has read it and if you would recommend it for a read. Lemme know what you think. <p></p><i></i>
I can't say to much about the book, but I in no way recommend the movie!<br>
I was almost sleeping within the first 10 minutes.<br>
I have never seen anything to dry.<br>
<br>
~Quintus <p></p><i></i>
The books (I, Claudius and Claudius the God) are classic recommendations by all Latin and classical studies teachers. Absolutely read those first.<br>
People are divided on the BBC series but I like it a great deal and have it on DVD. Classic scenes include Caligula asking Claudius "Am I mad?" ; Livia's speach to the gladiators "You're all scum and you know it" and, upon the death of Caligula, the confrontation between the praetorians and Caligula's German guards:<br>
"He's our new emperor".<br>
"emperor?"<br>
"CAESAR, fritz!"<br>
"Ja??"<br>
<br>
<p>Aulus<br>
Legio XX
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I liked the BBC series as well. When I was in Germany in '79-'80, it was the only decent thing on Armed Forces TV (and it's probably still on). <p></p><i></i>
Hey Guys sounds like I bashed your movie!<br>
The movie may have turned out better, I admit, but I<br>
couldn't stay awake to find out.<br>
Sorry Guys!<br>
<br>
~Quintus <p></p><i></i>
I have to admit that one of my personal faves both as book and TV series is I Claudius, or as it's known in our family I Clavdivs (v pronounced as such). We're all entitled to our own opinions Quintus, but I would heartily recommend that you give it a second chance (especially as later on you get to see Jean Luc Picard [sorry, Patrick Stewart with hair] as an excellent Sejanus)<br>
<br>
<p>Veni Vidi Bibi</p><i></i>
Patrick Stuart with hair.....hmmm......now that's a thought!<br>
I'll consider checking it out again. Maybe on a rainy day or something.<br>
What is it 9 hours or something? I'm not quite sure, but I do remember it being lengthy.<br>
By the way, Occulus, are we having a prize for this months QPQ? I haven't seen it posted anywhere and I've been curious.<br>
Thanks<br>
<br>
~Quintus <p></p><i></i>
'I Claudius', boring?!! Huh?<br>
<br>
Well, each to their own I guess. To my mind the TV adaptation of 'I, Claudius' is something rarely seen on TV anywhere these days, even from the Beeb: - intelligent television drama, well written and well acted and aimed at thinking adults.<br>
<br>
It can be argued that Graves' novels sometimes tended to choose the most lurid or dramatic takes on the historical evidence and was somewhat inclined to present Suetonius' most scurrilous palace gossip as fact. I've also been able to trace a few common misconceptions about this period directly to Graves. In my discussions about Varus on the web over the last couple of years I keep coming across people who insist that Varus was defeated because he didn't scout ahead of his army properly. This isn't mentioned or even implied in any of the sources and whenever I've asked people where they got this idea from - which they state categorically as 'fact' - they've been unable to answer.<br>
<br>
It was only a few weeks ago, when I re-read the section in 'I Claudius' on the Varian disaster that I found the source of this idea - it was there in Graves' novel.<br>
<br>
The TV was not without its faults - some of the dialogue comes across as a little stagey these days and if you look carefully sometimes you can see some of the sets wobble when someone slams a door. But compared to most historical dramas and just about anything on TV these days, its a masterpiece.<br>
<br>
But boring?!! The opening scene had naked dancing girls for God's sake - quite an eye-opener for me at the tender age of ten when it first came on and revolutionary for any TV series even in the seventies. Then there's enough sex, violence, intrigue, madness, pogroms, purges, wars, plots, conspiracy and poisonings to fill 1000 soap operas - and its all true (well, sort of).<br>
<br>
Contributors to the poll on my Varus site regarding the best 'Roman' movie have asked why I didn't include 'I Claudius' in the poll. Simple answer - because its a TV series, not a movie. Maybe that's why the previous poster found it hard going - its meant to be watched in one hour chunks. I think even a fan like me would find it hard to cope with in one sitting!<br>
<br>
Cheers, <p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius<BR>
<P>
Visit Clades Variana - Home of the Varus Film Project<br>

</p><i></i>
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
After posting my last message I recalled a good website on 'I Claudius' and went looking for it. It appears to have been taken down, but my search turned up and even better one. If you are interested in where Graves' novels, the TV series and history intersect (or diverge) check out I CLAUDIUS: Fact or Fiction. The 'Evidence Charts' section is excellent, taking each scene and analysing what primary evidence they can be said to be based on, with extracts of the appropriate passages from Suetonius, Tacitus, Dio et al provided. Great stuff.<br>
<br>
PS Looks like I just got promoted again.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius<BR>
<P>
Visit Clades Variana - Home of the Varus Film Project<br>

</p><i></i>
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
And congratulations, Tim! Nice to have you back -- we've missed you lately... <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
I recently read I,CLAUDIVS and also it's sequel, And even though I know it's not entirely accurate I found it a good story for it's own sake. very entertaining. <p></p><i></i>
This is creepy. I just had bilateral foot surgery and am totally layed up. A couple days ago my son brought me a stack of books to read so what is the title of the first one I chose to read? I Claudius. I'm about 60 pages into the book and love it.How does that old saying go? Great minds think alike? <p></p><i></i>
I can only reinforce most of what's already been said. The book and mini-series are both superb. (I especially recall Livia trying to ger Caligula to proclaim her a goddess, so she'd couldn't be punished hereafter for her multitudinous murders! And, I think it was part 11 of the BBC series that had that scandallously decadent orgy -- right out of Suetonius, in living color.<br>
<br>
As to historical inaccuracies: it's a novel! it's a movie! What can you expect?<br>
<br>
Hilaritas,<br>
<br>
John <p></p><i></i>
Ave!<br>
<br>
Haven't seen the movie/tv series yet. hope to soon!<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>