Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pilum Sizes
Hi there,<br>
I need some measurements of a "standart" pilum. Maybe one of you is sitting next to his reenactment gear and can give me some values.<br>
I need the length of the wooden shaft and its diameter up to the joint block. Then the length and diameter of both ends of the block and finally the length of the pilum head.<br>
Finally a approx point of gravity would be nice.<br>
<br>
thanx in advance<br>
<br>
ghandi<br>
<br>
www.chasuari.de <p>CHASUARI - Germanic Warriors of 1st ct AD.<br>
www.chasuari.de </p><i></i>
Robert Brosch
www.chasuari.de">www.chasuari.de
Germanic warriors of 1st ct. AD

www.comitatus.eu">www.comitatus.eu
Network of germanic Reenactors of 1st ct. AD
try these from Mathews site<br>
www.larp.com/legioxx/pilum.html<br>
The trend seems to be towards the very solid variety. See Connelly's article in the shortly to be published Exercitus <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
Thanx, but I noted that already. Unfortunately, I need more precise informations.<br>
<br>
<br>
ghandi <p>CHASUARI - Germanic Warriors of 1st ct AD.<br>
Robert Brosch

I'm not sure that there is a "standard pilum size", but here's the dimensional data on the typical Oberaden pilum (from Bishop and Coulston):<br>
<br>
length of the junction block is approximately 8 inches,<br>
Diamater of the ash shaft is about 1 inch,<br>
length of the iron pilum shaft is about 32 inches.<br>
The length of the wooden shaft is a guess. I'm not sure that a complete pilum, including a complete wooden shaft, has ever been found. A few years ago I built a pilum around the Albion pilum shaft that matches the above dimensions. I carved a piece of ash to the 1 inch diameter and made the length of the wooden portion a total of 56 inches long. The pyramidally shaped junction block goes from 1.75 inches at the bottom to 1 inch at the collet. It works very well with the center of gravity well far forward of center, approximately 6 inches below the bottom of the junction block. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=neuralmancer>Neuralmancer</A> at: 3/24/05 4:46 am<br></i>
Thank you!<br>
I think, I can work on this.<br>
<br>
ghandi <p>CHASUARI - Germanic Warriors of 1st ct AD.<br>
Robert Brosch

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Republican pilum is born: pilum of Castellruf tiberius aemilius naso 7 3,324 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Robert