Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Face mask helmet on eBay
Avete, amici!<br>
<br>
Just wanted to get the thoughts of my comilitones-- if any-- on this piece now offered on eBay:<br>
<br>
Face mask helmet<br>
<br>
T. Flavius Crispus<br>
Legio VI VPF<br>
CA, USA <p></p><i></i>
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
Well, I'm pretty sure this is a Nix Imperial Creations job. See the same helmet here (for $100 less):<br>
<br>
www.niximperial.biz/collection_5_0.html<br>
<br>
Terry's items tend to photograph really nice. The biggest drawback is that they're not made from legitimate armor-weight metal (brass, steel, etc), but rather some type of composite, more akin to resin electroplated with thin gold/silver plate. I phoned him a while back and asked him what he uses for a base metal, and he really couldn't answer, only that it's a "modern technique" that allows him to recreate the fantastic detail of the originals as they appear in evidence (statues, reliefs, etc). It certainly does look spectacular, though.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps,<br>
<br>
Severus<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hi,<br>
<br>
A drawing of the original is on page 244 of Connolly. From the stuff I've bought from Terry, he does good work<br>
<br>
Regards<br>
<br>
Paulus <p></p><i></i>
Thanks, Darii et Paullus!<br>
<br>
I should have recognized a Nix creation. I haven't been on his site for awhile. Since I recently got to handle and sell a REAL Roman faceplate helmet, and am now in negotiations on a second, I've become quite fascinated by them.<br>
<br>
Darius, you're right-- I believe many Nix helmets are of "cold cast metal," which is really epoxy impregnated with metal dust. It produces a nice look as far as detail is concerned, but the metallic finishes all look rather "painted on" to me. The "antiqued" finish actually looks better, and makes this piece appropriate for display, if not for reenactment.<br>
<br>
It looks to me from the photo like the cheek pieces and faceplate are integral, and that the whole front of the helmet, cheek pieces and all, is hinged to the skull at the browguard. This is not how the faceplate helmet I recently had is constructed-- the face plate and cheek pieces were separate, the face plate was hinged at the front, and the cheek pieces were hinged as on a normal helmet at the sides. I know that different faceplate helmets were built in different ways, though. Has anyone seen the original of this type, and how it functions?<br>
<br>
T. Flavius Crispus<br>
Leg VI VPF<br>
CA, USA <p></p><i></i>
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
The Deepeeka version (based on a helmet in the Levy collection, which I would love to see!) is made in this way- ie separate face and cheek guards. www.deepeeka.com/store/co...oduct=5006<br>
<br>
Based on the Junkelmann book (sadly in German), the majority of the masked helms seem to have this approach, with a hinge on the "forehead".<br>
<br>
But I haven't seen the original of the above helmet!<br>
<br>
Regards<br>
<br>
Paul <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Face mask or face guard in late roman period Macharivs 136 20,909 06-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar