Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The architect of the Pantheon
My wife was watching a video of a professor from Yale named Dr. Kleiner. 

I've told her the 3rd rebuild of the Pantheon happened under the reign of Hadrian, under the construction of the architect Greek engineer Apollodorus. This video she sent me by Professor Kleiner, says that the architect of the rebuilt Pantheon is unknown. We entered into a little argument about this as everyone I know said it was rebuilt by Apollodorus. I forgot which Roman author wrote about the reconstruction of it. I believe it was Dio Cassius, but I can't seem to find it nor can I find it in google. 

Is anyone familiar with this, and has the consensus changed on who was the architect on this masterpiece?

Here's the video in question, starting around 16:50 the professor talks about the Pantheon.

"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." ~Cicero

Attached a paper that may be of some help.

Attached Files
.pdf   Who_Built_the_Pantheon_Agrippa_Hadrian.pdf (Size: 1.08 MB / Downloads: 20)
(03-21-2016, 08:02 AM)Steven James Wrote: Attached a paper that may be of some help.

That helped. Thank you very much. Even though we have no actual support saying it was built by apollodorus, it sure seem to use his ideals.
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." ~Cicero

According to the following paper, which is too large to be attached, the Pantheon was built on the mathematical ratios of the Pythagorean 6:8:8:12 tetrachord.

Intervals    Tones     Ratio
12:6            Octave          6            2:1
12:9            Fourth           2½         4:3
  8:6            Fourth           2½         4:3
12:8            Fifth              3½         3:2
  9:6            Fifth              3½         3:2

The Iconography of Sacred Space: A Suggested Reading of the Meaning of the Roman Pantheon Author(s): Christiane L. Joost-Gaugier Source: Artibus et Historiae, Vol. 19, No. 38 (1998), pp. 21-42 Published by: IRSA s.c. Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1483585