Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamata Seminar
Ave,

I will be giving a seminar on Roman armor specifically curiasses and will introduce the various types, how they were probably made, function, period of use etc.

Of course, the attention catcher will be photos of the armor. Naturally, with few exceptions, we presume certain appearances to be based on sculpture as cautious as one needs to be.

Hamata has been shown as straight bottom, musculata shaped at the lower edge, long, short etc. How about a van dyke edge......the bottom edge and sleeves edges look like the teeth of a saw? Is there any sculptural evidence for this at all with respect to mail.

I saw Trajan's Column and a soldier wearing a hamata had a toothed lower edge but upon closer inspection, it appeared to be not from mail but a different material since it was not chased in the same manner that mail was portrayed.

Aside from this, I have not seen anything other then what I described.

Iideas, evidence, photos?

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

(03-14-2016, 04:49 AM)Doc Wrote: Ave,

I will be giving a seminar on Roman armor specifically curiasses and will introduce the various types, how they were probably made, function, period of use etc.

Of course, the attention catcher will be photos of the armor. Naturally, with few exceptions, we presume certain appearances to be based on sculpture as cautious as one needs to be.

Hamata has been shown as straight bottom, musculata shaped at the lower edge, long, short etc. How about a van dyke edge......the bottom edge qnd sleeves look like the teeth of a saw? Is there any sculptural evidence for this at all?

I saw Trajan's Column and a soldier wearing a hamata had a toothed lower edge but upon closer inspection, it appeared to be not from mail but a different material since it was not chased in the same manner that mail was portrayed.

Aside from this, I have not seen anything other then what I described.

Ideas, evidence, photos?

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Hamata Seminar - by Doc - 03-14-2016, 04:49 AM
RE: Hamata Seminar - by Nathan Ross - 03-14-2016, 09:41 AM
RE: Hamata Seminar - by Doc - 03-14-2016, 02:55 PM
RE: Hamata Seminar - by Nathan Ross - 03-14-2016, 07:28 PM
RE: Hamata Seminar - by Flavivs Aetivs - 03-22-2016, 12:18 AM
RE: Hamata Seminar - by john m roberts - 03-14-2016, 06:17 PM
RE: Hamata Seminar - by Doc - 03-14-2016, 06:47 PM
RE: Hamata Seminar - by Dan Howard - 03-14-2016, 09:50 PM
RE: Hamata Seminar - by Alanus - 03-14-2016, 10:23 PM
RE: Hamata Seminar - by Doc - 03-20-2016, 07:44 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  N. American Roman Military Conference/Seminar, feasibility richsc 10 3,025 06-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Last Post: mcbishop