Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Nisibis War 337 - 363: The Defence of the Roman East AD 337-363
I don't know if it academe is re-evaluating Julian but it is hard to escape the conclusion that when looked at objectively Julian's Persian campaign failed strategically and also at the tactical level. Whether Shapur II and his grandee generals out classed him or his circumstances got the better of him, we will never truly know. The resultant loss of Nisibis and the trans-Tigritene provinces was a disaster for Roman foreign policy. I understand the general consensus that it ushered in a period of relative peace and stabilised a porous border region but from the Roman perspective (or ideology) it reversed decades of hard-fought determination to maintain the status-quo. The loss of Nisibis was a status-blow which proved hard to recover from.

For myself, Julian reigned too little for any definitive account of him as an emperor, a person, or his policies to hold any universal truth. Syvanne and Hassel's works in themselves do no more than add much needed corrective views to Julian!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Nisibis War 337 - 363: The Defence of the Roman East AD 337-363 - by Longovicium - 03-03-2016, 05:51 PM