Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Copyright
Hi

I have had no response or reply to a post and Private message I made last week. It seems everyone is over on Facebook! Hopefully a new thread will get a reaction.

It has come to my attention that scans of all of my Plates from the Byzantine Court Dress publication "By The Emperor's Hand" written by Timothy Dawson have been posted on Facebook by a member of this Forum!

While I certainly appreciate the advertising, it would have been fair to post a small sample, with a link to the publishers or my website. There are people who may buy the publication simply to view the Plates so to post all of them online in reasonable quality will not help my Royalties.

As we both know each other on RAT it would have been no problem for the poster to have asked me first either. Saying that if they did not do it someone else would have posted the images is not really an excuse.

These scans have inevitably been copied elsewhere and can be viewed on at least one other site. It also appears that the text too is available online.

People may not be aware but an author or an illustrator of factual history publications does not earn anything like the author of Harry Potter. If readers of these books wish to see them continue then they should think of that before posting the material online. Should the poster ever be in the same position then they might appreciate that.

This is a form of publishing itself and is also covered by copyright law.

The publishers have been informed and a suggestion has been made that Facebook be informed as well if the poster does not remove the images.

I have not named the member here as I am guessing that his intentions were not entirely dishonest.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Fair enough comment and you are more than entitled to take further steps of needed IMHO!
You have our support of course.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I wasn't aware of it but you have my support. I bought a legal copy of your book the day it was released, if it's any consolation!
(02-29-2016, 02:36 PM)Graham Sumner Wrote: If these are on FB RAT I'll be glad to take them down and/or ask the postor follow your instructions. 
We can add this to FB RAT intro too since it applies to all authors. 

Hi

I have had no response or reply to a post and Private message I made last week. It seems everyone is over on Facebook! Hopefully a new thread will get a reaction.

It has come to my attention that scans of all of my Plates from the Byzantine Court Dress publication "By The Emperor's Hand" written by Timothy Dawson have been posted on Facebook by a member of this Forum!

While I certainly appreciate the advertising, it would have been fair to post a small sample, with a link to the publishers or my website. There are people who may buy the publication simply to view the Plates so to post all of them online in reasonable quality will not help my Royalties.

As we both know each other on RAT it would have been no problem for the poster to have asked me first either. Saying that if they did not do it someone else would have posted the images is not really an excuse.

These scans have inevitably been copied elsewhere and can be viewed on at least one other site. It also appears that the text too is available online.

People may not be aware but an author or an illustrator of factual history publications does not earn anything like the author of Harry Potter. If readers of these books wish to see them continue then they should think of that before posting the material online. Should the poster ever be in the same position then they might appreciate that.

This is a form of publishing itself and is also covered by copyright law.

The publishers have been informed and a suggestion has been made that Facebook be informed as well if the poster does not remove the images.

I have not named the member here as I am guessing that his intentions were not entirely dishonest.

Graham.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Thanks guys.

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
The images have now been removed from the Facebook site.

Thank you to those who helped out.

Graham.

(03-02-2016, 09:02 AM)Graham Sumner Wrote: The images have now been removed from the Facebook site.

Thank you to those who helped out.

Graham.

I am informed and corrected that you aren't on FB. Shouldn't you be? All the best people are, as the devil says in Don Juan in Hell.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
If I was on Facebook then I would not be painting! I spend enough time on here as it is.

Back to the drawing board.

Graham

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Web copyright, getting credit for websites richsc 7 3,858 01-22-2002, 08:26 AM
Last Post: JRSCline