Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Transition of Maile
it shouldn't have. All you need is a backing against the rings, so they wont give up and stop the object getting through. it doesn't have to be rugged backing, even some soft leather or layered linen would be fine.
Jaroslav Jakubov
But we're talking about a fixed lining. Linen is not as flexible as mail is. So therefore if you fix it to the inside of the mail, two things can happen generally:

1. Linen (or leather) backing is tighter than the maximum extent of mail. Therefore the flexibility of mail is reduced.
2. Backing is fitted to the same size as the maximum extent of the mail when pulled out. It might compromise the mail's ability to contract, and also it would hinder comfort.

Or am I totally missing something?
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Flexibility is compromised a little but obviously not enough to affect functionality. If it wasn't practical, we would not have the hundreds of examples in museums all over the world.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Then how would you fix the liner? (Which method from those I described above?)
Just look at existing examples. Sometimes the mail was sandwiched between two layers and sewn through. Sometimes the liner was attached around the edges, but as Stephen said above, most lined mail examples are opened at the front or side rather than slipping over the head. Sometimes the cloth was on the outside and the mail on the inside. Here is a Byzantine painting of Mercurios with this kind of armour. His collar is folded over to show the mail lining. Mail was a common component of concealed armour.
[Image: 36f4bfad03281536d76853853879bd26.jpg]
I meant would you attach the liner when the mail is extended the most, or when it is contracted the most, or inbetween?
In between.
I'd imagine the best way to do it would be to attach it in sections. Do a liner on the forearm, separate piece on the upper sleeve, another piece or two for the torso, and another piece or two for the skirt.
What would be the difference bettween:
1. Mail hanging over a flexible lining at its full extension.
2. Mail hanging over a flexible lining at its full extension and attached to the flexible lining around the edges.

Think about it a moment before you answer....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867