Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scutum handle
I have just made a scutum and I found that the handle seens to be in a bad posision. I put it right in the center of the shield, but when I use it, the shield is too top heavy and I cant hold it vertical. The top tilts back towards me. should the handle be more towards the top in order to balance that out? Aug33 <p></p><i></i>
Ave Aug33,<br>
<br>
I placed the handle of my Scutum about 1cm below the exact center point (vertically) so it tilts toward me a little- thus it naturally lays against my arm when I carry it. Since holding it straight out at 90-degrees causes one's hand to remain in the same orientation as when carrying the shield normally, it is held straight by the back of the hand. So, I think it's actually desirable that the Scutum tilts toward its carrier.<br>
<br>
Now when you say you can't hold it vertically- in which position are you meaning? Holding it straight out with your arm at 90-degrees?<br>
<br>
Vale<br>
<br>
Matt <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=mattl@romanarmytalk>Matt L</A> at: 2/27/05 5:51 am<br></i>
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Ave, Aug33<br>
<br>
So, started your scutum have you? What have you done by way of the rim and the boss?<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
<br>
-Spatha<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
holding the shield out with my arm fully extended. As if I were going to deliver a blow to the face with the boss. It tilts back on me and I think it is a cause of the weight being poorly distributed. That is why I though moving the handle up would give me more control. Aug33 <p></p><i></i>
Ave Aug33,<br>
<br>
It takes a fair amount of wrist strength to hold something even as 'light' as a 3-ply Scutum out at 90-degrees for more than the split second of a punch- and it's actually because a punch is so fast that I'm not too worried about the perfectness of its balance. I find that I'm at full-extension before there's any perceptable tilt and that it seems to be the forward momentum of the Scutum keeps it straight anyway. I figure a slight tendency to tilt toward the user is a desirable characteristic because it keeps one protected from overhand swings throughout and because you'd be carrying it 99.999% of the time and a slight tilt toward your arm is good.<br>
<br>
Now one of the contributing factors to my Scutum tilting toward me if I hold it straight out and don't balance it on my wrist is the fact that I have a piece of leather- suede-side out- wrapped around the handle. This makes it much more difficult to grip sufficiently to stop any movement (if I wanted to that is). Perhaps this is contributing to your tilt as well? Is your handle bare wood? If so, maybe a thin leather wrap (not suede-side out), will help.<br>
<br>
Vale<br>
<br>
Matt <p></p><i></i>
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!