Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A leather 'subarmalis' from San Rossore?
At the end of Raffaele D'Amato's new Osprey book, Imperial Roman Warships 27BC-193AD (sic!) there's an image of what the text calls 'part of a marine's leather subarmale from the Augustean levels of the San Rossore ships'.

This is from the excavation of the ancient harbour at Pisa. On the following page (not shown in online preview) there's a reconstruction drawing of the proposed garment as a leather jerkin with a fastening at the neck.

I can't find anything else online (in English anyway) about this item. Lentini's essay on textile and leather finds from the site doesn't mention it (or any other leather stuff, despite the title!)

Does anyone know more? And are there any similarities between this piece and other supposed fragments of leather garments found at (I think) Carnuntum?
Nathan Ross
According to D'Amato every fragment of a leather tent, shield cover, and cloak is really an example of leather armour or leather subarmalis.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(01-25-2016, 09:39 PM)Dan Howard Wrote: every fragment of a leather tent, shield cover, and cloak is really an example of leather armour

True! Although without any further information on this piece, it's impossible to make any further guesses. I did think, considering the context, that it might be a bit of leather sail...
Nathan Ross
Ah, the master of method and interpretation at work again.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.