Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolus Finish
Salvete amici! I was getting some oxidation off my brass coolus and smoothing it over when I noticed some of the finish had been taken off. Is there a way to restore or at least semi-restore it? Maybe paint or something? Gratias vobis ago, amici!

Here's a picture, forgot to put it in the main post.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

HONOR VICTORIAQVE TECVM

John F.
I think that may just be a lacquer put on by the factory to prevent oxidation. I have seen something similar on reproduction Civil War buttons and rubbed it all off which actually resulted in a better looking button.
(01-10-2016, 11:07 PM)mboyce Wrote: I think that may just be a lacquer put on by the factory to prevent oxidation. I have seen something similar on reproduction Civil War buttons and rubbed it all off which actually resulted in a better looking button.

I don't really need to worry then? I understand it's a helmet and not like a priceless treasure, but I don't want it to be a piece of crap, either.
HONOR VICTORIAQVE TECVM

John F.
That is just my experience with other brass items. Hopefully someone with more experience with a helmet like this will chime in.
I have a brass Aquincum helmet that I haven't worn for 10 years. It still looks good, although I could polish it. The helmet has a slight "patina," an honor of its age. My guess is your helmet has a plastic varnish coating, ie "lacquer." Perhaps you could remove the lacquer and simply polish the helmet occasionally. Frankly, I don't like the super-shiny look of a new helmet, and I rather doubt actual legionary helmets looked pristine. Cool
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Lacquer will keep oxidization at bay for a long time, but it isn't great for armour because it scratches. I second Alan's recommendation, and would suggest furniture stripper to remove the lacquer, and any polishing paste to keep up the finish. Tarnishing can be minimized by wiping the helmet down with ethanol after handling, and a layer of conservator's wax (like renaissance wax) will keep it in good order during storage.
It looks like its lacquered to me, I would think a bit of acetone on a rag would easily remove the laguer and then polish with any decent metal polish such as Brasso wadding...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867