Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romans in North Lanarkshire, scotland
Hi i am looing for any information, links etc for the Romans in Coatbridge North Lanarkshire, can anyone help??

wikipedia mentions a Roman road in the area but i i cant find anything on it online.

North Lanarkshire (which Coatbridge is part of) has a pretty rich Roman history with Roman baths, bridges, forts and of course the Antonine Wall running through it!

if anyone has any information regarding Coatbridge that would be great.

cheers
Francis Aitken
(01-06-2016, 11:46 AM)fhaggis Wrote: Hi i am looing for any information, links etc for the Romans in Coatbridge North Lanarkshire, can anyone help??

wikipedia mentions a Roman road in the area but i i cant find anything on it online.

North Lanarkshire (which Coatbridge is part of) has a pretty rich Roman history with Roman baths, bridges, forts and of course the Antonine Wall running through it!

if anyone has any information regarding Coatbridge that would be great.

cheers

On Roman Roads, your best bet is probably to get a copy of "The Secret History of the Roman Roads in Britain" by M.C.Bishop... at the very least it will lead you to the other sources, there is a website that accompanys the book but the maps arn't working for me:

http://romanroadsinbritain.info/

I cant say for certain but I'll takeĀ a wild guess that there is a Roman road in the line Glasgow Edinburgh running through Coatbridge, perhaps the Airdrie road?
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(01-06-2016, 12:29 PM)Crispianus Wrote: On Roman Roads, your best bet is probably to get a copy of "The Secret History of the Roman Roads in Britain" by M.C.Bishop... at the very least it will lead you to the other sources, there is a website that accompanys the book but the maps arn't working for me

I'm afraid the maps don't work for anyone, since Geocommons were taken over by Esri who promptly trashed the whole system. I'm looking at alternatives, but the new 'improved' Google Maps is pretty horrendous. I may just end up sketching them in ketchup on the back of a napkin and posting photos of those ;-)

In the meantime, I will be uploading my various Google Earth layers in the near future so they can be downloaded.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Romans campaigns in North Africa in the 3rd C keith A 1 1,009 10-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Why didn\'t the Romans conquer Scotland? AureliusFalco 18 9,803 05-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  What was life like for the Romans in north Africa? Jingle_Bombs 4 2,569 08-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Jingle_Bombs