Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
really large helmets
Salvete<br>
<br>
just idly wondering: I read a few times that some Deepeeka helmets are rather big. This makes me somewhat happy as my head is roughly 65 cm (25 1/2") around. Does anyone know if any 'off the shelf' helmets are produced in that size? If so, which ones are they and how much refitting do they need before being useable?<br>
<br>
Thanks<br>
<br>
Volker <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
I find most Deepeeka helmets are too small, for my head, being about the same size, we have to put in a special order to get helmets big enough to fit most of our 6 foot tall, 24 inch head size reenactors. Of course, Deepeeka then charges an extra fee and takes a lot longer to fill the order. No offense to smaller people, but Deepeeka helmets are usually not that large unless they are being compared to the originals. If the normal Deepeeka helmet fits well on a medium sized Indian or Pakistani, it does not mean it will fit well on a "corn-fed" lad with larger bones and frame. Just like the Deepeeka mail and segmentata, which aren't made for a 50 inch chest..... oh well.<br>
Before buying any helmet have the seller measure the circumference, so you don't get stuck with one that won't fit on your head right, even if you don't use a lining! <p>"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
One factor thwarting a proper fit is that the helmet bowls are round, while the human head is eliptical. That's why a 25" bowl-- which 95% of the Deepeeka's are-- won't always fit a 24" head. Caius Man, of the So Cal Legion VI, has a method of "smooshing" (I believe that's the proper technical term for it) the helmet so that it is longer front-to-back than it is side-to-side, and this has helped a lot of our guys. Tragically, I've never actually been there when he's done it, but I believe he mounts it in a vise sideways and gently cranks it until it's under enough pressure to distort the original round shape, but not enough to cause an outright buckle. Leaves it for a few days, then tries it out. If more smooshing is required, he repeats the process. I don't think he heats it beforehand. The key is leaving it undisturbed for a few days, allowing the metal time to reshape itself. But again, be forewarned: too much initial crank on the vise can result in a permanent buckling that will be exceedingly difficult to repair!<br>
<br>
I'd give this a shot before spending any more money on extra finders fees. I've had more than one Deepeeka dealer tell me there's only one size: 25". Any slightly smaller or bigger helmets are purely the result of workmanship/factory deficiencies, not any deliberate attempt to provide reenactors with a better choice of size.<br>
<br>
Gil <p></p><i></i>
Deepeeka has told the USA importer/wholesaler, sole actual point of contact; (who then supposedly sells the stuff to the other dealers) that they make other sizes, per my communications with both the people at Deepeeka, and 'By The Sword', the "official" USA wholesaler.<br>
<br>
Rusty at "Soul of the Warrior" has also confirmed that Deepeeka will make larger sizes. <p>"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Email us when you've found a Deepeeka-made helmet a full size larger or smaller than a 25" bowl. Ever.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>