Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pattern welding - authentic for Late Romans?
Sorry for the demagogic title, had to catch your attention. So I'm contemplating of commissioning a pattern welded sharp spatha for myself, a centurion from 375-400. So far I'm under the impression, that pattern welding was the main technique utilized in this period to make quality swords (or even simple ones). I got this point of view by looking at the metric shitton of pattern welded Germanic spathas from the 4th and 5th centuries (often thought of as of Roman manufacture), and the overwhelming majority of pattern welded blades after 500.

Looking at Miks' book, he overlooked this part in his analysis (at least I did not find anything about this). Do you have any intel on this topic? Is this really an issue, or am I overhyping it in my head?

Personally I don't think it is not authentic to go for a pattern-welded one, even if I don't know the exact specifics of my selected find. Chances are on my side, and pattern-welding would have to do more with compatibility with my kit and persona.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Hi, "M"

I think you'll find pattern welding was common during the late Imperial period. Somewhere here on RAT there's an entire thread on this subject. As Sargent Schultz always said, "I know Nothing. Nothing!" ... about late Roman swords... because I'm a barbarian from the East. By AD 200, pattern welding was "old hat" to the Chinese, they had advanced to folded, and triple-welded, "san-mai" blades (up to 3,000 layers), the best being clay tempered. If the Chinese were this advanced, then the Romans of two centuries later were certainly creating sophisticated blades. Rolleyes
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Spatha- Pattern welded blade markusaurelius 27 9,456 12-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  Poor welding on Italic D? Suggestions? Gaius Colletti 25 4,981 02-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Gaius Colletti
  For the Romans in the USA...who is the most authentic.... Mark Headlee 7 2,024 10-16-2006, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Magnus