Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A complete tent at Vindolanda?
In response to my question about a recent photo on Facebook showing a large chunk of what may be a tent, Vindolanda responded:

'Hi Richard, the tent image was not released by us. We have many hundreds of tent panels and a complete tent in our collection. This one will go through the conservation process then into storage. Best wishes. Team Vindolanda'

Has anyone seen this complete tent?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I knew there were panels but not a complete tent.....this is news to me.
 Kevin
Kevin
Not only.
"many hundreds of tent panels" !!!

really???
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
Vindolanda added:
'Carol Van Driel-Murray had published work on out tent collection in the Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies (JRMES). The Ermine Street Guard replicated the Vindolanda Tent and use it for their re-enactments.'
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
(12-02-2015, 08:35 PM)richsc Wrote: Vindolanda added:
'Carol Van Driel-Murray had published work on out tent collection in the Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies (JRMES). The Ermine Street Guard replicated the Vindolanda Tent and use it for their re-enactments.'

Carol published the large chunk that came out first in JRMES but I was talking to her at Limes 2015 and she said there had indeed been a bigger bit since (news to me too). Pete Savin (who regularly volunteers at Vindolanda) tweeted a piccy of the bit that came out this year fresh out of the ground.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
How many Roman archaeological finds do you kinds suppose are still out there waiting to be found?
Christopher Vidrine, 30
Very interesting. It would be necessary to have a catalogue of the "tent" findings, because I know only that large piece published in JRMES and some other little findings from other sites such as Castleford.

My FIRST question would be: are all the pieces from leather? Is there some textile?
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
(12-03-2015, 07:51 AM)Luca Wrote: Very interesting. It would be necessary to have a catalogue of the "tent" findings, because I know only that large piece published in JRMES and some other little findings from other sites such as Castleford.

My FIRST question would be: are all the pieces from leather? Is there some textile?

There is quite a lot of tent leather or leather that has been ascribed to tents:
Birdoswald tent leather McIntyre & Richmond CWAAS 1934. get an off print from a library or CWAAS.

Carlisle: Roman waterlogged remains at Castle Street, Winterbottom chapter 27 CWAAS Research Series no 5. report still available, extensive leather finds But on microfiche. 

CWAAS=Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian & Arch Soc.

Valkenburg, Roman Lederwerk uit Valkenburg, Groenman-van Waateringe 1967. try ABE books or similar....

Vindolanda already mentioned....

Hope this helps :-)
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Has there been any tests on the leather found so far to determine what animals they came from?
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Goat hides.
Interesting. This could be evidence that the Thoracomachus as described by Vegetius as being made from 'Libyan Hides' were probably made from Goat Skin leather. American Airforce (Army, Navy and USAF) leather flying jackets were made out of Goat skin leather as well.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Goat skin is flexible, thin, strong and waterproof. So, it's the material perfect to made tents panels and things like dress, bags, purses, and a long etc...
Not being to be rude Gents, We know its goat, it has been for some time now....but did Goat skin do all?
 I am educated.......difficult for some to appraise....LOL.....but,
 I had a previous topic on Leather in Seggies. This is Leather in tents?
I want to see this whole tent?
 Kevin
Kevin
Birdoswald and Newstead McIntyre & Richmond: Calf back cut length wise. Castlecary and Barhill are also mentioned.

Carlisle, Castle Street: thickness vary mostly 1-1.5mm appox. material evades me at the moment(poor copy)

Valkenburg: Geitleer(Kid?) probably means Goat leather.

Mainz Göpfrich, Rind oder Kalb, but probably calf.

Castleford Van Driel Murray: Goat is mentioned.

Vindolanda Van Driel Murray: Goat (The Early Wooden Forts).
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Salve, Crispianus! Those exemples you cited are tents?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vindolanda tent find: March 21 on Twitter richsc 3 1,555 05-26-2015, 05:13 AM
Last Post: mcbishop