Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another primary consideration in introduction & eventual disappearance of Segmentata?
I think that there are some indications - in Zosimus and Ammianus, possibly also Vegetius could be interpreted in a similar way - that the infantryman of the Dominate was expected to fight in light equipment - i.e. no body armour - as well as in body armour. This would depend on the circumstances; a raid, such as Julian made on the Rhine islands, would not have required armour, indeed jumping in and out of small boats it would be a positive menace. In contrast, the Principate legionary was required to wear armour even when engaged in engineering projects, when close to the enemy - as can be seen on the columns in Rome. The abandonment of segmental armour may have more to do with its transport bulk than anything else. A soldier expected to switch from armoured to unarmoured fighting can transport a folded mail-shirt much more easily than a segmental armour, even if the weight is similar. Even when concertinaed, a segmentata is still more bulky than a folded or rolled mailshirt.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another primary consideration in introduction & eventual disappearance of Segmentata? - by Urselius - 12-01-2015, 08:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Disappearance of the military triumph constantius 9 3,785 11-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Disappearance of velites Gladius Hispaniensis 12 4,605 06-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Coriolanus
  IX Hispania Disappearance Myth Hoojio 18 6,822 03-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale