Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vexilllations From Legions
I understand that detachments of cohorts from legions could be sent to smaller provinces like equestrian provinces. What was the number of men sent to these provinces, and which cohorts of a legion would most likely be sent?
James Ajiduah
I don't know, where you got the information, that vexillations of legions were usually detached to serve in pacified provinces like most provinces governed by an equestrian procurator. This was not usual!

Pacified provinces (often senatorial or equestrian provinces) had no legions. They usually had a small exercitus of 1-2 auxilia cohorts. The procurator picked his singulares from these auxilia, too. However, for his office he needed further qualified personell. And here we have evidence that the cornicularius, the beneficarii and other NCOs were often legionaries detached from nearby provinces with legions. But the units itself in the province were auxilia.

There was a discussion lately, if legionary cohorts from Syria served in Judaea, while it was governed by an equestrian procurator e.g. Pilatus. Perhaps there have been some legionary cohorts in Iduaea. But it is always unclear, if they were just there as temporary reenforcements, because Iudaea was always a rather troubled province. The standard in smaller and pacified provinces was auxilia only, aside from these few legionaries in the governors staff. Of course this changed with Septimus Severus establishing the new province of Mesopotamia with Legio Parthica I and III.

Regarding vexillations in general: There is no evidence that the romans prefered any specific cohort for vexillations. Well, you can assume, that they never detached the 1st cohort. Because the (primus) princeps (prior) was the chief of administration of a legion, and this cohort had the eagle of the legion.
Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas
(11-15-2015, 11:03 PM)Cornicularius Wrote: There is no evidence that the romans prefered any specific cohort for vexillations. Well, you can assume, that they never detached the 1st cohort.

As far as I know, there's no evidence of a vexillation formed by a single cohort - except a mention in Tacitus's Annals of a cohort garrisoning a fort in Numidia, but they may have been auxiliaries.

Unfortunately, few mentions of vexillations provide any details of their composition. Hadrian's speech at Lambaesis - preserved on the famous inscription - mentions a detachment of one cohort plus four men from each of the other cohorts; why that was done remains obscure!

In the later empire it apparently become common to create vexillations of two cohorts and add them to field armies; a couple of inscriptions from north Africa mention them, and one does indeed feature the first cohort. But by then (cAD298) the primus pilus was long gone and the first cohort may have been the same as the others.

A few building inscriptions from Caesarea in Judea mention legionaries - all that can be securely dated, I think, come from the period after legions were based in the province, but some of the others might perhaps have been before that, and the men concerned might have been part of a vexillation from the Syria garrison. But we can't be certain about that, and none provide any further details.
Nathan Ross
(11-15-2015, 11:44 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote: In the later empire it apparently become common to create vexillations of two cohorts and add them to field armies; a couple of inscriptions from north Africa mention them, and one does indeed feature the first cohort. But by then (cAD298) the primus pilus was long gone and the first cohort may have been the same as the others.

Yes, my assumption was, that the OP was asking about the principate, because he asked about provinces governed by an equestrian procurator. During the late 3rd century all governors became equestrians and were nothing special anymore.

Actually Legio II Parthica which was founded by Septimus Severus had most propably no double sized 1st cohort anymore, because there is an inscription of a primus pilus posterior in this legion. Which should mean 6 centuries like every cohort. And anytime afterwards the primipilus became a civil clerk responsible for the annona, the primi ordines almost disappear and new ranks like protectores rise. So it is a good guess, that the role, size and command structure of the 1st cohort and the legion in general changed latest during the 2nd half of the 3rd century. From now on, the 1st cohort might be used for vexillations, too.
Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas
Longinus can you please check your PM's?
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
(11-16-2015, 07:02 AM)Gunthamund Hasding Wrote: Longinus can you please check your PM's?

My name is below all my posts
James Ajiduah