Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle of the Arar 58 BC
I recently posted about the battle of the Arar on my blog but not surprisingly there are some outstanding questions regarding this battle.  If anybody here can help me pin down some of this information I would appreciate it.

1. Who commanded the Roman Legions that day?  Caesar states that it was himself, Plutarch and Appian both give the nod to Labienus.  
  2. Which Legions actually participated in this battle?  Caesar makes no mention of the specific legions, only mentions three were present.  Some modern writers state that it was Legions VII, VIII, and VIIII, with Legio X sitting in the defenses blocking movement over the Rhone, which to be honest I doubt would still be manned at this point.
  3. Where were the other Gallic tribes that set out with the four Helvettii sub-tribes during this battle?  Caesar only mentions that three of the four sub-tribes had gotten across, but makes no mention of the Rauraci, Tulingi, Latobriges, or the Boii.
  4. Any realistic estimates of the numbers of Helvettii that took part in the migration?  How many were Tigurini?

Any help or links where I can find any of this information (if it exists) would be appreciated.
http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/battles_arar.html

this is an interesting site, not too much more info though as you have

As the Boii and Tulingi appear in at Bibracte we can suppose they also crossed over. Latobrigii appear as well as being sent home by Caesar so supposed to take part in Bibracte maybe guarding the camp?: Rauricii disappear (might be destroyed at Arar or Bibracte or was to small to really count). Boii were allowed to settle with Haedui.
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Thanks I was of course aware of that webpage.. pretty slim on details.. I had to rely heavily on Caesar and Dodge for my information... thanks for the information on the other Gallic tribes.. yeah I know that some of them were present at Bibrachte, attempting the flank attack into the Legions... I agree with you that they were probably present at the Arar, but already across the river, I will run with that assumption.