Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Nisibis
Does anyone know of any studies (ideally in English) of the city of Nisibis?

The site is currently right on the Turkish/Syrian border, occupied by the modern towns of Nusaybin and Qamishli, with the border running right though what may have been the centre of the ancient city - all that remains above ground are a few pillars from a colonnade, isolated in no-man's land between the frontier barbed wire, and the church of Mar Yacub.

Google satellite images appear to show the traces of extensive ancient remains in the cleared border area, indicating what might be the old street grid, lining up with the angle of the colonnade and the church.

However, I can't find anything in print or online to tell me more - not even a sketch plan of the configuration of the city.

Any suggestions much appreciated!
Nathan Ross
Hi Nathan

I am sure I saw on Oxbow, in the reduced book section, some papers on digs at Nisibis.

There is this link that may or may not be of interest- http://journals.cambridge.org/action/dis...9414001354
Other links-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61581957@N03/5604991673
www.journalofromanarch.com%2FJRA27_first%2520pages%2FJRA27%2520first%2520pages%2FJRA27_21_Palermo_FINAL.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFb4yeQ67qvikhUyFnTmUhnt01_RQ&bvm=bv.106379543,d.d24
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Thanks Adrian - that Rocco Palermo paper from last year sounds like it could be what I'm after. I'll just have to find some way of getting hold of it...!
Nathan Ross
(11-04-2015, 11:25 AM)Nathan Ross Wrote: Thanks Adrian - that Rocco Palermo paper from last year sounds like it could be what I'm after. I'll just have to find some way of getting hold of it...!

In such circumstances, I trot down to my local library and order a photocopy through the inter-library loan service.  It normally only takes a couple of weeks to come through.  There is a charge, of course.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
(11-04-2015, 11:57 AM)Renatus Wrote: order a photocopy through the inter-library loan service.

That was my plan! Although I can probably get it through my local uni library, for no charge...

Incidentally, here's the satellite image I mentioned. Church of Mar Yakub top left. The four diagonal shadows lower centre are cast by the remaining pillars of the colonnade. It's hard to make out, but it does appear that some of the traces visible in the open ground seem to follow the same orientation as the pillars and the excavations around the church.

Nathan Ross

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nisibis 252-298: Who controlled the city? CaesarAugustus 4 885 09-22-2018, 10:27 AM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus