Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th Century Roman Belt Color
Ave All..........next week,after all the components have arrived, I'm going to be making a 4th Century Roman Waistbelt. The leather I'm using is Natural in color, which I purchased from Tandy. And I've noticed a lot of folks' belts here on RAT that do Late Roman are reddish (OR IS IT MAROON OR BURGUNDY.......)in color, as the one pictured below.The impression I'm building is a Roman infantry soldier in Britain.
     Is the color pictured below ok for that,if so, I can order Fiebings leather dye on AMAZON......If not correct ,what COLOR would be preferable .
The belt will be here by tomorrow, so I'm going to start stitching it, but need to dye the leather first.
Thanks in advance for the help, Antoninus

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

Roman Soldier Impressions are focused on 1st Through 4th Century AD
I can only show you a mosaic of the 4th century (Piazza Armerina, I believe) depicting military belts and baldrics: [Image: 11693848_496876177130336_730158596649902...e=56857A0D]
---
Salvatore Falco

vel

Furius Togius Claudius Quintillus
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010431916603
That is a great mosaic , thank you.
But my question is, what color of dye are people using.......that is a dark red in the mosaic , so are guys using, red, maroon, burgundy dye??????.....something else?
Antoninus
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

The coloured belts are always amazing to me.

You can imagine they were not made of leathers, but realized with the tablet weaving technique?

I believe that are many possibilities for than even if currently no proofs.
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
(10-30-2015, 04:48 PM)Luca Wrote: The coloured belts are always amazing to me.

You can imagine they were not made of leathers, but realized with the tablet weaving technique?

I believe that are many possibilities for than even if currently no proofs.

Tablet weaving is a very interesting technique, for me at least, and I'd love to integrate it more in my Roman reconstructions; however, I've never seen any reference to military belts made of textile, nor (but this might be my ignorance) to Roman textiles made with this technique.
---
Salvatore Falco

vel

Far I don't know too about roman tablet weaving. I started studying this beacuse it seemed to me that late roman orbiculi were done with this technique, but they were made with tapestry technique.
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
All very interesting, but the question was belt color...........not composition.
I guess I'm going with red. Antoninus
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

I think a red dye was used. Madder? Burgundy is not correct i think, too purple.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I would like to know if the only colours attested in mosaics and painting (or even archaeological finds) are natural leather colours and red. Are there blue belts, for example?
---
Salvatore Falco

vel

No blue i mean...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4th Century Roman Belt Primvs Pavlvs 13 3,397 08-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Virilis
  Roman Auxiliary shield color Eronnius 22 10,303 07-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS
  Reconstruction of 1st century roman belt. Titus Marius Secundus 21 4,864 06-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Titus Marius Secundus