Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did Greeks/Romans make spear/arrow shafts?
This Youtube shows how dowels are made-so I have a pretty good Idea how a small shaft can be made with a sharp chisel or sharp die and a lathe.
Did Romans/ancients use something like a potters wheel in place of a lathe? Foot powered?
How ever the shafts were made I'm sure the the resulting product had to be true.
They had to have some method to turned these items out in mass to.

Youtubes on various ways to make wooden dowels

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...oden+dowel
-Rod Dickson
Rod

I think that there is a difference between spear shafts and arrow shafts. This is not only due to the fact that an spear shaft is bigger but also the function it serves.

There is NO importance if a spear shaft is perfectly straight or not. so I suppose that any sapling can be used if is the right dimension and maybe the right wood.

with the arrows of course is different, they should be as straight as you can. I suppose that saplings were used too but they were worked down then straighten you can do it very easily by using heat or even without , of course they could be made from squares as well, probably they used both methods. Lathe was known to the romans but I don't think you need it here, nature is much cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...row+shafts+
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Just too make the distinction, javelins need to be as straight as possible, and if you can do it, balanced. Our resident celt is a perfectionist on this but he does throw really well.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
In the past I would have thought that spear shafts were made from coppiced wood..... and shaped with a spoke shave.....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Quote:In the past I would have thought that spear shafts were made from coppiced wood..... and shaped with a spoke shave.....

I can't speak for earlier Roman shafts, but an analysis of 5th-7th shaft remains from early medieval spearheads has shown that, on the whole, thinner shafts for smaller heads were made from coppiced wood and thicker shafts were made from planks split from logs.

The small planes found in some of the Danish bog deposits have a concave channel in the sole, which makes them them an excellent tool for working down rough cut shafts to near round very quickly. I've got one and it works very well.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
IIRC 3rd-4th c. Germanic spearshaft bog remains were found also to be made from planks...
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
I would think arrow shafts were first squared to a prescribed dimension, then shaved to eight sides, then shaved round. This was a standard method used by ancient fishing rod makers, and it would seem to apply to arrow shafts as well.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote:I would think arrow shafts were first squared to a prescribed dimension, then shaved to eight sides, then shaved round. This was a standard method used by ancient fishing rod makers, and it would seem to apply to arrow shafts as well.

That makes sense, though the arrows from Dura were Reed with a wooden foot 1cm thick overall..... but that may be because of local conditions.... but I could imagine that every method would have been used depending on the supply of suitable materials...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did the Romans/Greeks/Barbarian Scum use backpacks Flavivs Aetivs 11 3,064 03-30-2014, 09:29 AM
Last Post: richard robinson
  Spear of Jesus TV Show(Spear of Destiny) Anonymous 4 2,587 04-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Anonymous