Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Niello.....?
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know who sells actual niello?

Does anyone know the exact composition of each component?

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I don't have the book available at the moment, and it's been a while since I've looked at it, but an online version might be available of Theophilius' "On Divers Arts" (Dover publications) from the 1100's, IIRC in his section about Silver work and talked about niello
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote: Does anyone know who sells actual niello?

I get mine from a yewellers hardware store.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Apart from Theophilus "On Divers Arts" ISBN 0-486-23784-2
theres:
"The Treatises of Benvenuto Cellini On Goldsmithing and Sculpture" ISBN 0-486-21568-7
and :
Herbert Maryon "Metalworking and Enamelling" ISBN 0-486-22702-2
both of which include recipes and instructions for niello...
All three should be available from Dover Publications, however I dont see Cellini in the online shop so you may have to source this from elsewhere....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Sorry for the late responses. I just came across the topic. Even though I checked off to be notified, sometimes it works and other times it does not. This being one of the times it does not work.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Hello Ivor,

Found the first and last at books at Dover. Thanks

Paolo
Paolo your welcome, I forgot to mention you can also try ABE books it's usually the place I try when I cant find a new copy at a reasonable price:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Search...+Sculpture

Theres also a translation from the latin of "On Diverse Arts" or "Di Diversis Artibus"(Upon Various arts) 1847 however to my mind the Dover version is superior...

https://archive.org/details/theophiliquietru00theouoft

Hope its some help

:wink:
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Niello Decorations Pointer 3 1,175 08-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius