Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
friendly neighbourhood century?
A question from someone fairly ignorant of the structures involved:<br>
<br>
How do I find the nearest unit, and at what kind of distance does it make sense to join? The thing is, I can already feel my focus dissipating - it'll be two or three years till I have my full kit together, realistically, and I'm having to do it all myself. I think it would help me if I could be formally part of a Roman unit, even if I can't actually go there more than once a year or so. It'd give me a sounding board for feedback and clear guidelines as to minimal standards.<br>
<br>
Thing is, I don't know where the nearest one is. How can I find out? I'm in Hamburg, Germany, and the nearest RAT meeting is in Holland which is a bit far (though just barely doable, on my budget)<br>
<br>
Thanks<br>
<br>
Volker<br>
(I think something Flavius something Greek, but I'm working on it) <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
well, our group was spread out with travel distances of 150+ kilometers for individuals BEFORE so many got sent off to Afghanistan and Iraq, and I have traveled over 1400 km for an event, (one way). Our annual trip to Lafe, Arkansas is about 600 km each way for my group. With the internet to keep people in touch, and to allow people to share ideas and photos, and modern transportation, you can be a member of a unit and live a long ways away, but it is more fun to recruit more members locally. Until the "Gladiator" film, most groupd took several years to get a dozen members, with the possible exception of LEG XIIII where Dan Peterson had the equipment and a bunch of bored soldiers who were willing to try something different. If you have some spare equipment, it is often easier to recruit new members at a university or wargame club, or even the local library! In the USA one can go to Society for Creative Anachronism meetings in Roman costume and recruit there, or at Ren-Faires....<br>
<br>
But you can be an Army of One, and find enough support and criticism here on RAT and other forums, with the internet.<br>
<p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, </p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Well Caius, in Europe we're not very used to travelling such distances over the weekend. Though I will admit I drove out to Kalkriese to meet you guys. Must have had a streak of American in me somewhere. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
true, Jasper, but you have PASSENGER TRAINS! You are so lucky! My state has one passenger train every other day and it only goes to Texas from Oklahoma City! Now, mind you, if I travel to an ecvent in California, that might be the way to go! I remember traveling all over western Europe on trains, even before the EU! (of course, recently traveling in the eastern sections, I found the train was about 1/4th the speed of a automobile, but you can sleep on the train, and I rarely sleep when driving! <p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, </p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
That's true. We groan and complain about them a lot. Mainly when they're more than 3 minutes late (for a train that goes every 15 minutes, prolly). International traintravel gets expensive quickly though, but yeah, it is comfortable for sure. Perhaps budget is an issue here, more than distance.<br>
I thought there was a German reenactment group in NW Germany, around Osnabruck? <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hi Volker,<br>
<br>
Aren't the Chasuarii from Northern Germany? Also, I know some people in that area as well as Denmark doing Roman stuff (we're working on a watchtower replica to be built there), but I'm not sure about the period they're all doing.<br>
<br>
Hi Caius,<br>
I have an uncle who emigrated to Canada decades ago, to become a trans-continental truckdriver. One time he returned for a visit, taking his son along, and one day they both drove up from The Netherlands to central Switzerland to see the Alps! Yes, there and back in a single day. That's 8 hrs or more to get there.<br>
Sure he complained afterwards about the heavy traffic...<br>
<p>Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
[url=http://www.fectio.org.uk/" target="top]fectienses seniores[/url]</p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
They are? I hadn't heard of them except in the context of Germanic re-enactment, but if they'll have a Roman, why not? I'll go looking<br>
As I said, I do 2nd century, with a bias towards the Mediterranean basin (almost everyone tends to do Hadrian's wall or the German frontier for some reason, but I really like a pallium and soleae in summer).<br>
<br>
I know the SCA. In fact, I'm the token Roman with the local Shire and I'll stay there, too, it's just that I'd like to do Roman stuff in a more consistent way. The next local LARP/RPG convention is my first public occasion to show off my Roman clothes. I hope to have a proper balteus together by then. <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach