Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trophies of Marius Rome
Hello everyone,

I have been looking for photos of one of the statues from the Campidoglio in Rome. Specifically, the so called trophies of Marius.

There are many frontal photos but not nearly enough side photos.

I would like to have a look at the sword scabbard of the statue with the scale shirt and the two shields with the gorgons. The sword scabbard appears to have figures on it. Erik Koenig used the statue as an inspiration for his parazonium.

Does anyone have good close-up photos of the sword scabbard so the figures are visible. I used to have the photos but when my computer crashed, I lost them all.

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I would be cautious using the so-called "Trophy of Marius" as evidence for military equipment. It is quite likely of high Imperial in date, perhaps designed to honor Domitian's campaigns in Germany or Dacia. It later ended up as spolia in a Severan monument, and then in turn was moved and mid-identified by a medieval pope. At best, the trophaion represents the fanciful depiction of military equipment in a civilian context during the High Empire.