Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Horse Racing
Quote: I didn't know that the Compressor was named after that horse!

I'm sure it's not really! But who knows eh?... Wink

Incidentally, I wondered which of the horses in the mosaic is the named one. Chariot races went anti-clockwise, I believe, so presumably the drivers would put their best horse on the left of the team, as a leader. So Compressore would be the righthand horse in the picture - the happy-looking one wearing a sort of necklace... Probably any Roman spectator looking at the picture would know this at once!
Nathan Ross
So they raced as we do here in the states - counter clockwise. Ya know I'll bet it would have been exciting to watch those chariot races. To see that little chariot being pulled by 4 powerful steeds! Gives a new meaning to the term horsepower! And I wonder if there were betting on those races like we have today? A book maker at the circus maximus. Can you imagine?

Cheers,
Thomas
Thomas Guenther
Quote:

It does seem that chariot racing was the only form of equestrian sport practised in Rome.

Other than the cavalry games, of course.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  horse racing in late antiquity Lothia 0 1,119 06-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Last Post: Lothia