Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romans in Texas \"Seawinds Defender \" Oct 23-25
Ave All.......
ATTENTION ALL ROMAN REENACTORS IN TEXAS!!!!!!!
Marcus Norwood and myself (old members of Cohort V / New members of Legion IX HISPANA East) are going to set up a display and do some living history at the SEAWINDS DEFENDER event on October 23-25 2015.
Both of us do 1st Century Roman, Marcus will be concentrating on that, I will have a 4th Century Roman in Britain display and be doing that impression.
We welcome all our fellow Roman reenactors to come out and participate with us. In fact,many Celts are also welcome.
The event will be held at La Fruita Park near Mathis , Texas.
It is a very nice site, this proves to be a nice event. Good opportunity to do living history and interface with others interested in Roman culture and history.
You register, etc upon arrival. If you have any questions, let me know.
I know there are a lot of you out there here in Texas and this could be a great event to dust off your gear and get back in the game.
Hope to see you there.............Antoninus
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

Roman Soldier Impressions are focused on 1st Through 4th Century AD
Wonderful! You should mention this on Roman Army Talk Facebook.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Unfortunately, not on Facebook .......but it looks like I may have to join, as living history groups seem to have all bolted that way, Antoninus
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

Indeed, there are 2900 "members' in FB RAT alone, so the eyeball traffic is pretty high. But if you type in "Roman..." or "Legio.." you get multiple groups with similar names, so traffic also seems to be diluted a bit. If you were to start a group with your Texas name, like "Cohors V - Texas" it would let people know more where you are located. There is a "Legio X - Malta" for example, not to be confused with all the other Legio X out there.

Just out of curiousity, did you belong to the umbrella Legio IX before? When Sean bowed out (he's now back but not apparently as a leader) Legio IX group in Virginia split into two parts, just to confuse things. One is more in our Legio XX area, the other is near Richmond centered around Ron Phelps.
Bit too much politics around them.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I was initially a member of the Texas offshoot Legio IX that was under the umbrella of Sean in Calif. about the time I got my entire kit together back in 2005, the group died, they seemed to have evolved into more of a "computer Legio".The few of us left formed the Cohort V, which was quite active from 2010-2014. We put on one of the largest gatherings of Roman troops at our first Ft Parker event back in 2011. We also had allied with a great bunch of guys up in the Dallas area run by Eliu Santos, but as our 4 years of "glory " continued, the Dallas bunch, for whatever reason, one by one went away. Then one of our highly active members moved away and the decline in participation continued.
When you are a small group to start with, if 3 out of 5 can't make it, all valid reasons, but still, the ones carrying the load decided they'd had enough.
However,one newer member, Marcus, refused to be defeated and has continued to do Roman at several events and venues by thinking outside the box. So, from his inspiration, I decided that I took all these years and money and researching and putting two Roman impressions together that I would start joining him at events and see if we could get this going again in Texas.
He told me recently that we already have a potential recruit coming to Seawinds this October. We both recently joined the Legio IX Hispana East, the ones building the Castra in Maryland. For me, it was full circle, starting with Legio IX and ending up there again.......besides, I had Matt Luke's make me a fantastic leather Scutum cover way back when with the Legio IX markings.......I'm hoping other Texans are reading this and are tired of their gear just sitting in the closet. I'd love to see them at Seawinds and discuss the potential future. Antoninus
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores