Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lacus Curtius
Anyone know what happened to the University of Chicago Penelope Library's Lacuc Curtius website? It was full of electronic copies of ancient Roman sources but none of my bookmarks work anymore.
Working fine for me:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/home.html
Works on your computer. Works on my buddy's computer. Works on my phone when its on 4G, but not when its hooked up to my wifi. Doesn't work on computer I have. I have a couple dozen bookmarks that I can't access. Its been like this for at least a month. I hate technology...

Sad
Maybe try a different browser on your PC Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Tried. Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox. Doesn't work. I turn off wifi on smartphone, when it goes on 4G, then the website works. Something is wrong with the server my internet provider uses evidently.
It may be your antivirus is blocking your access to certain sites, check that.

Cheers
Works fine on my computer (phew!)
You had me scared there for a minute. I'm still sore over Hittites.info disappearing Sad
Quote:Works fine on my computer (phew!)
You had me scared there for a minute. I'm still sore over Hittites.info disappearing Sad

Have you tried the Internet Archive Wayback Machine?
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I still can't access it, or the archives through normal internet. Something to do with my internet provider server not working with the U. of Chicago's server. I can access them through 4G on my phone at least, so there is that.
Seems like a server problem, last night I had a similar thing and could not connect with the site, this morning everything seems normal again so perhaps it was just a glitch....
Perhaps using a proxy might help?

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/...27944.html

I haven't tried this but it might work for you...

Also seems that the URL is blocked on the Archive as well ...bu**er?
Ivor

Quote:
Justin I post=370145 Wrote:Works fine on my computer (phew!)

Have you tried the Internet Archive Wayback Machine?

Yes, but unfortunately it only shows the landing page, none of the tabs work. It's a shame because that site was packed with primary sources that I haven't been able to find anywhere else online.
Did the site require a login to view?
Ivor

Quote:Did the site require a login to view?

No, although there was a message board that required a login.

Those tabs along the top (history, texts, essays, etc.) all led to pages full of information, but if you click on them through Internet Archive, they're dead.
If you go back to 2004 or so you can access some of the site, later on it says something about Unicode being necessary to view the site, maybe that has something to do with it?

2005 https://web.archive.org/web/200502070407.../index.asp

maybe some use?
Ivor

So a buddy of mine who is tech savvy ended up contacting the site administrator through email and then gave them my IP address. Something about their server thinking my IP may have been blocked by their security software. Now I can access the website again.

Thanks to all who gave suggestions!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problem with Lacus Curtius? Nathan Ross 7 2,359 09-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Renatus