Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal Spinning Imperial Gallic Helmet
Hello all,

I am pretty new to everything Roman army, but I have an interest. I have wanted to make Segmentata for a while. I am very lucky that I have a lot of experience fabricating things and access to multiple full machine shops.

Next week I am going to try my hand at metal spinning. I will be meeting with an instructor friend and he will be teaching me the basics. I have a wood lathe of my own that I am thinking about converting for metal spinning. I have to talk to my friend and get the details for what it would take. But I have access to a machine already set up for it.

My first project is going to be trying to spin a blank for the Imperial Gallic Helmet. It takes a fair bit of work to get to the point where you can make the first blank. I will be constructing the mandrel to form domes 8-1/2 inches in diameter with a 2 inch straight section at the end. I should be able to spin 16 gauge yellow brass for Type I helmets, and mild steel for the Type G helmets.

I sure would love any advice from anyone out there. Also, it takes a lot of work to get to making the first dome. But after that I should be able to make many more of them. If anyone is interested in working together with me. I would trade making the dome for there advice on making the other parts and help.

I have a problem that I don't do anything the easy way. haha. But I have access to all the tools. (welding, machining, woodworking, iron work, forge and anvil, and all the sheet metal tools you can imagine) My biggest problem is not knowing the details of what to make. I know that the community is really particular about accuracy. So I would love some help from someone that knows how it should turn out, and I can help with the how to make it.

I also do some leather work and will by making some Caligae. I will post a link to my thread for that a little later one.

Thanks,
josh
Joshua Updyke

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka Imperial Italic D vs Gallic G Helmet Cheek Guard lenghts wwiigunz 0 1,123 09-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: wwiigunz
  Imperial Gallic E irwimar 8 3,836 01-16-2017, 11:40 PM
Last Post: irwimarl
  Imperial Gallic A Helmet Agricola 23 6,170 09-26-2014, 06:04 PM
Last Post: Agricola