Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Segmentata mail hybrid
Quote:I've added a recent picture of the Alba Iulia statue here.

Basically how I'm interpreting that piece is that it appears to be a scale collar with a set of those decorative chest plates that connect it at the front worn over a Newstead Segmentata.
What would be the point of wearing a scale collar over a seg?
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
I think the idea is that the shoulder segmentata is not there and one would wear the torso rings with a scale shoulder(arm) section attached.

Interesting anyhow. THe torso the segmentata is certainly the most maintenance free part of that armour IMO.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Quote:What would be the point of wearing a scale collar over a seg?

I dunno, they wore it over maile too, which is just as pointless.

Quote:I think the idea is that the shoulder segmentata is not there and one would wear the torso rings with a scale shoulder(arm) section attached.

Interesting anyhow. THe torso the segmentata is certainly the most maintenance free part of that armour IMO.

Fair point.
Thanks for posting that, Erik. I had forgotten all about that one.
The hinge appears to intrude quite severely, a fairly substantial subarmalis would be required .
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signa, Vexilla and Aquila Hybrid\'s Marcus Caecilius Avitus 10 2,977 09-03-2007, 07:31 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio
  Plate-mail hybrid armor FlaviusCrispus 31 6,896 06-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS