Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any info on this helmet?
I have been commissioned to reproduce this helmet, and I would like to find out as much about it as I can before starting.

Apparently Robinson classified it as an "Imperial Gallic F." A photo attribution on the site where these photos were found (Roma-Victrix.com) lists "Römisch-Germanisches Zentralmuseum - Köln-D". Does anyone know if the helmet in Cologne, or in the RGZM in Mainz?

[Image: cassides_weisenau39s.jpg]
[Image: cassides_weisenau40s.jpg]

Another photo from a different source:

[Image: Mu3tXM9.jpg]

I would be grateful for any information or photos. Thanks!

-Jeffrey Hildebrandt
Don't know much but it's not a Gallic F. From the shape of the neck gaurd it looks like an earlier type of Gallic. Not an expert, someone can correct me.
Salvatore
Salve!

This helmet (find no. Oa 88.020/cl) was found in 1988 in the Praetorium of the legionary fortress in Oberaden in a pit lined with wood. The silver foil was removed before it was deposited. Only about 50% of the helmet are preserved. Heavy restoration of the bowl is visible on the photos.

The helmet was published in Müller, Martin, Ein römischer Helm vom Typ Weisenau aus Oberaden, Varia Castrensia, Bodenaltertümer Westfalens, Mainz 2006. Müller mentions red enamel on the rivets but it is unclear whether he found traces or whether he is deducing this from other helmets. He gives detailed measurements and also information on the type of metal used.

I am not sure but I believe that the helmet should currently be in the LWL Römermuseum Haltern.

As far as I know, the helmet was found without cheek pieces. The cheek piece in the photo appear to be the one found in the early 20th century in Haltern (published: Waurick, G., 1976: Die roemischen Militaerhelme von der Zeit der Republik bis ins 3. Jh. n. Chr. 237 S., Mainz, Univ., Diss., 1970, Koepp, Ausgrabungen bei Haltern, Mitteilungen der Altertums-Kommission für Westfalen 5, 1909, pp. 350, plate 39,3, 2000 Jahre Römer in Westphalen).

If you PM me your e-mail address I can send copies of reference materials but they are in German.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Thanks so much, Jens! Fantastic - just the sort of information I was looking for. I will PM you with my email address.
Yes, it is at Haltern.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christie`s late roman helmet - any info? Virilis 24 5,508 10-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat