Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improving Deepeeka caligae, shoes
Quote:So, we all agree that the DSC model is the best so far in the market in acceptable quality.

Gagan

No, i think there are actually better versions around. I don't like to support you copiing your fellow traders though. Furthermore, the DSC caligae are glued, not stitched, unfortunatelly.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:So, we all agree that the DSC model is the best so far in the market in acceptable quality.

No, I don't.
Apart from that you bluntly state that you want to copy somebody else's work, which most likely is a violation of IP or some such. I think that this should not be tolerated here on the forum.
There are enough finds to start from. Do the research needed or pay somebody to do it for you, then create your product.
Darn. I was pretty happy with my DSC Castlefords until I read this. Two years old and doing pretty well.

So who makes the best commercially available caligae? Other than DSC and Deepeeka, I didn't know there was another one. I will buy a pair if there is one.

So to help DPK (and everone else) out, which patterns, other than Mainz and Castleford, are most representative of the first century?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Dear Martin

The question was not of copying- I have enough reseratch material with me to make sandals. I need to see the stitches, the seams, the leather- is that too much too ask.

Besides, I am surprised at your outburst- after all RAT has seen enough copies of Deepeeka's products in the market. I am not sure if you reprimanded them. If it was that way, I dont think anyone in India would be able to sell any Roman product in the world- as what you see everywhere is essentially takes offs or copies of Deepeeka models- including the people running these organisations.
Of course there are better products out there but for off the shelf mass produced the DSC caligae are the best. We're not talking custom made here. If Deepeeka makes a similar quality caligae it should meet the needs of most reenactors. There will always be those who will make their own or have a pair custom made but that isn't Deepeeka's market anyway.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Dear Gagan,

Quote:The question was not of copying- [...]

Ok, I must have misunderstood this then:

Quote:Can I buy a good pair to copy ? Can anyone suggest a place ?

Quote:I have enough reseratch material with me to make sandals. I need to see the stitches, the seams, the leather- is that too much too ask.

I that case let me assure you that you are good to go. Your material should contain all you need, drawings, photos and descriptions of all that.

Quote:Besides, I am surprised at your outburst- after all RAT has seen enough copies of Deepeeka's products in the market.

I am sorry that you suffer from others copying your products/IP and certainly understand that you are not happy with others copying from you what I think is your IP.

Quote:I am not sure if you reprimanded them.
If they were to ask for reproductions to copy from on this forum I'd say the same thing as in this case if I'd see it.

Anyhow, I have voiced my concerns and will not pursue the matter any further. I hope that - apart from how you get to do it - your shoes will be worth the buyers' money.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Improving the old Deepeeka Auxilary Infantry B ? dave74 1 1,351 04-20-2013, 07:07 AM
Last Post: Gaius Colletti