Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Start, looking for information and advice.
(02-05-2016, 12:52 AM)G. Acilius Draco Wrote: Good evening everyone,

I am interested in either joining or starting a reenactment group in the greater New York area. I am totally new to reenactment of any kind at all, however, I do have degrees in history and classics, I am moderately proficient in Latin, and have 4+ years in the US Army (if those things matter at all, just establishing some credentials if it helps me find a group). I guess in short, before I potentially spend a lot of money on a kit that may not pass muster against the average reenactor, I just wanted to verify that people agree with Antonius Insulae.

Firstly, let me say I am interested in portraying a legionary from approximately the mid 1st Century CE, more specifically I'd like to use segmentata.  What I am gathering is that deepeeka is a reputable source seemingly to buy just about everything. I would still like a specific example of a scutum and a gladius that people agree are both good. I am considering the Gallic G from deepeeka if people agree those are time appropriate and if this particular one is of good quality (the very one that Antonius linked saying it was most popular). A follow-up question about the helmet, as I have never even held a replica Roman helmet, does that particular helmet have the capability of mounting the crest both transversely and longitudinally?

Secondly, I have no interested in making anything. I appreciate I could save money, and maybe it could be fun, but if I am to be totally honest, I am not very handy. So again, I would definitely like a definitive scutum link if anyone could help me. I do not want to make a tunic, so if anyone can help me with that, and maybe also a belt, and an appropriate baldric for the gladius. I would also like to purchase a pilum. I have seen some of these items on lawrensnest, I was wondering if these items are acceptable, or if I should look elsewhere.

I know I am coming into this pretty ignorant, but in short, I would like to go online, and buy a good quality kit to accurately portray a mid-1st Century CE legionary. Cost isn't necessarily a serious consideration of mine, as long as the difference is cost is justified by the quality of the item.

Thank you so much, in advance, for your time.

What is you current budget? And are you under pressure of getting everything at once?
Damian

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Start, looking for information and advice. - by Damianus Albus - 02-05-2016, 12:34 PM