Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman helmets
Hello,<br>
<br>
I'm looking for a good helmet for the start of the second century ad.<br>
What would you recommend? And what do you think about these types? Does anyone of you have experience with any of them?<br>
<br>
*AH6059B Imperial Gallic 'I' (deepeeka)<br>
*AH6053 Imperial Gallic 'H' (deepeeka)<br>
* Coolus G (deepeeka, should be ok, but doesn't it look a bit funny?)<br>
*Imperial Gallic 'G' (deepeeka, arn't the cheekpieces to big?)<br>
<br>
What do you recommend (or perhaps none of them)? Otherwise does anyone have an alternative (not to expensive and available in Europe?)<br>
<br>
greetz,<br>
Daidra<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
those above are probably the best bet for low price, It also might depend on wether you are an auxiliary or a legionary, the coolus G is actually arguably the best of the coolus helmets from deepeeka, also, for the era after the dacian wars you may want to think about cross bars. if you can the best thing woul be to have an armourer make one custom, this will probably be at least 3 times as expensive as the deepeeka stuff though <p></p><i></i>
aka., John Shook
<br>
Imperial Gallic G from deepeka do'nt have cheekpieces too big: In my opinion, there are too short and sometimes it's dificult to cord it at the neck. <p></p><i></i>
Hello Daidra!<br>
<br>
If you are not making one yourself of having one custom made, the next best thing to do would be reworking a Deepeeka heavily. The cheekpieces must be replaced entirely, but they aren't that difficult to make (email me if you want more info on that matter).<br>
<br>
Jurgen/Quintilianus <p></p><i></i>
Salve Daidra and whoever else is out there.<br>
<br>
Thinking of branching into the second century myself, 200-250ad myself, what about Deepeeka's copy of Guttman's "mouse helmet" AH6304? comments anyone. Have already put a post up about this period under re-enactment/balteus/cingulum-any constructive comments welcome.<br>
<br>
Vale<br>
<br>
Ferox <p></p><i></i>
Noli Nothis permittere te terere!!

Mark.
I think the deepeka Hebron Helmet (Itallic G) is a good alternative too. The itallic D have a lot of troubles (you can see some past posts in RAT about it) <p></p><i></i>
Well Lucius,<br>
<br>
That helmet does look great!<br>
I read some good comment on it to!<br>
<br>
Thanks!<br>
Daidra <p></p><i></i>
I have the Itallic G, and I love it. It's a good helm!<br>
<br>
You may also want to check out Matt Amt's site www.larp.com/legioxx/ and see what he recommends. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
I have a gallic I, which i am shortly hoping to retire in favour of a custom built helm. I bought it before i started reading books about what the original stuff looked like!<br>
<br>
I have replaced the awful brow band nuts plus the rings on the back, the cheek guards are not partucularly accurate either, being based on some strangled misinterpretation of a gallic g cheek guard. The bowl is much too round, so i had to squash the helm a little to make it fit my (oval) skull! The bowl is nothing like as deep as the original it is meant to be based on from Mainz, although it is not too far off a similar example from Rijswijk. I am fairly convinced the helmet should have a coolus type crest knob, rather than the italic style keyhole slot, which would bring it closer to the Aquincum pattern (also sold by deepeeka, and more accurate...)<br>
<br>
So apart from the shallow oval bowl, naff cheek pieces, brow band nuts, debateable crest mount, incorrect occupital stepping, neck guard fantasy rings, dubious eyebows, clunky feather holders etc etc, its not a bad helmet!!!!!<br>
<br>
If you're looking at doing the reenactment thing properly i'd continue saving and get a custom built helm, otherwise you'll end up in 7 years time wanting to buy another helmet..... <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=enniuspaulinus>Ennius Paulinus</A> at: 1/22/05 4:36 pm<br></i>