Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gentlemen
Gentlemen,
I recently joined your site. I've always had an interest in the roman army and have done some research on them. I am presently starting to put together a centurions uniform dating from Claudius's invasion of Britain to end of 1st century AD. I'm presently having a Imperial Gallic F helmet made by Jeffery Hildebrandt. I was wondering if y'all could guide me in obtaining some of the following: Tunic, Submarlis, lorica hamate, caliga, etc. Any help would be appreciated! Have enjoyed reading and learning on your site!
Thanks for your knowledge and input,
Thomas
Thomas Guenther
Good way to start is using the Search function to narrow down what you're looking for. There's an amazing breadth and depth of information here--I joined a couple months ago and am constantly plumbing its depths.

In looking for gear recommendations, I highly recommend looking through the info at various reenacting unit websites, such as Legio XX. In particular, their "what not to buy" is very useful:

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/bad.html

Try to hook up with a local group--it's quite useful to talk with people in person, see their gear, find out about any local maker's who have good stuff, etc.

Good hunting!
Steve in WA

Pone hic aliqua ingeniosum.
Thanks for your info! Been reviewing Legio XX's website. As you said, very useful! Been reviewing a lot of reenactment sites. I realize some things will have to be custom made, but I believe some things not custom made would be acceptable? Correct me if I'm wrong...Any help and guidance would be great.
Cheers,
Thomas
Thomas Guenther
I'm sure Jeffery will make you an excellent helmet. Are you in the Southern Ontario area?
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
No. Almost the other end of the continent...New Orleans, Louisiana.
Thomas Guenther
If you are really lucky you might find some ladies to help you out, too Smile
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
There was a Roman group there until a few years ago when they lost their venue. I still know several of them.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:I'm sure Jeffery will make you an excellent helmet.
Jeffery is da bizness. He is a pleasure to deal with and is patient enough to work with a pedantic pain in the arse like me.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Would there be anyway that I can get there contact information so I can find out if any of they are selling any of there equipment?
Cheers,
Thomas
Thomas Guenther
Mr. Howard,
You are absolutely correct about Jeffery. In my dealings with him he has been fantastic! Can only say good things about him.
Thomas Guenther
This is relevant in that it shows the kind of work that Jeffrey is capable of, but I'm really posting it here because I like to show it off Smile It is a reconstruction of the armour attributed to Agamemnon in the Iliad.
[Image: 13425846413_2bcb7d83e0.jpg][Image: 13425723655_cab9374dc4.jpg]
[Image: 13451076244_93688109ca_z.jpg][Image: 13450825323_26d8ed542b_z.jpg]
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Go to royaloakarmoury dot com. Poke around the site. View the portfolio. Check out his blog - the Attic-Chalcidian helmet is mine. Gorgeous work - and it fits! Contact Jeffrey through his site (or Etsy - he's there, too). Get a quote. Save your bucks while you wait for his backlog to catch up to you. It is worth it. He will walk you through what he needs to do a great job for you. Most highly recommended for custom work.
Cheryl Boeckmann
I found Jeffery through his site on Etsy. After looking at all the things in his portfolio. Reading the reviews he got on this website and talking with him for quite some time. I decided to go with him in regards to the Gallic F helmet he is making for me. I think it takes a true master of his craft to produce these true works of art! And some are one off pieces that he may never create again! I can only imagine the amount of time, research and experimentation and skill it takes to make them with the historical accuracy, detail, functionality and beauty!
Thomas Guenther
Do you mean the folks in New Orleans?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
richsc,
Yes. Would you know if any of them would be interested in selling anything? I may be interested...
Thomas Guenther