Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather weights----inch conversion needed
I have a source for leather: 12" x 12" vegetable tanned, 5/64 inch thick for $19. www.mcmaster.com/<br>
<br>
Thing is I'm not current on leather prices and weights. It seems that 5/64ths would be thick enough for segmentata work but knowing what ounce it is would be more helpful.<br>
<br>
Also, what ounce would 1/8 be considered?<br>
<br>
Thanks you much.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
leather is sold by the ounce per square foot usually expressed in a weight range ie: 3/4 ounce.. ..ie: three to four ounces per square foot.<br>
<br>
A retail price of $5 - $6 per foot for vegetable tanned shoudler or side sections is on the high side.<br>
<br>
Hibernicus<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Is that to say then that measuring the item in inches will not give a decent ounce rate? I'm not sure the clerk could reliably tell me what the leather's ounce rate is.<br>
<br>
The reason I thought of going with their product is that is comes in a "refined/finished" state where the entire piece could be used straight-away.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Ave,<br>
I'd think that 7/8 oz ought to do the trick for seg straps, but I would not suggest getting at Mcmaster for that price. In normal leathercrafting it is all done by ounces, I'd hazard a guess that Mcmaster is catagorizing it by thickness only because the market they sell to would use it for machine pads or gasket material. And that price is VERY high.<br>
If you have to order it, I'd suggest going to tandy www.tandyleather.com/prod...sp?dept=33<br>
There leather is fine quality, and while still a hair on the pricey end, much better than the other...<br>
<br>
Vale, Florentius<br>
www.florentius.com <p></p><i></i>
Ah yes, McMaster's is WAAAY to spendy. I planned to order rivets from them and noticed the leather and was curious but doing the math tells a nasty story.<br>
<br>
Looks like it's time to give Tandy a call. Many thanks. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  casting lead weights on Plumbata Chuck Russell 2 988 01-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Lorica segmentata fits 53 inch chest? sseverus 5 1,746 11-25-2005, 10:49 PM
Last Post: sseverus