Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armor
That is THE hat i was thinking of.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
I believe I've seen that man before but I can't remember where...
Salvatore
Do you think the Imperial Gallic 'F' (Besançon) would be a good choice of helmet for legio AVG?

Thanks.
Geoff.
Geoff
Galic F Besancon fits in nicely to your time frame. I use that one as well.
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin.

I've just purchased the above helm. Think I might have prefered one with the cross on the top of the helmet, to protect from blows but not sure that was used or around during the invasion. Still, I'm content and It will go with my early Mainz Gladius.

Geoff.
Geoff
The cross braced helmets sure are cool, but they all date to the second century after the Dacian wars. So the Gallic F was a much better choice for the period Smile
Regards, Jason
Lots of good discussion on helmets--any recommendations for beginner armor products/vendors in the US? I'm interested in Corbridge A lorica segmentata, in particular.

Much of the advice here and on other sites like LARP is either "make it yourself" or "pay this guy in another country $1200 and maybe get it 2 years later."

Okay, yes, I exaggerate slightly. :-)

Is there a middle ground?
Steve in WA

Pone hic aliqua ingeniosum.
Hoc, I know you were being sarcastic however there are plenty of wonderful dealers in Europe who do wonderful jobs on helmets that are affordable and do not take 2 years.

Here is a Helmet I just purchased recently from Ancient Empire Productions. Phenomenal Work, and when he gave me the time, he stuck by that. (Three months I believe)

[attachment=12738]ItalicA.jpeg[/attachment]

The helmet cost a little over 300 I believe. All bronze.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." ~Cicero

Nice helmet.

But any suggestions for L.S. armor in the U.S.?
Steve in WA

You could order the fittings and make it yourself, that way it fits you perfectly. Actually very easy to make if the hinges are pre-made.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Alex Mattras from Legio XI Claudia has a DIY guide for it.

http://www.romanarmy.net/pdf/seg_instr.pdf
We seem to be stuck in a loop here, guys. Going back to my original question--

Recommendations for Corbridge A in the U.S., ASIDE from "DIY" and "there's this guy in Europe"?
Steve in WA

The reason everyone is saying to make it yourself is because it is EASY and it will fit you properly. You could probably make it in a few days...if that. Why pay someone else to make a poorly fitting piece and then pay for shipping? All in you'll probably be under $200 depending on the fittings and leather.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
I've studied the various tutorials and understand the benefits. I've handcrafted my tunica, loculus, and other wool, linen and leather items--I'm certainly not averse to do-it-yourself and prefer it whenever possible.

However, I am aware of my limitations. Lacking the facilities and/or tools to cut, heat, shape, etc., all the metal, it's not feasible for me to produce a set of armor.

I can likely modify "off the rack" armor (replacing leather straps and buckles, minor metal bending, setting new rivets) but a scratch build isn't in the cards.
Steve in WA