Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help w/early Roman formation and Marius.
Here's what I know from reading books mainly Polybius. The early manipuler system consisted of hastati, being the front line. Principes being the 2nd line and triarii being the third. With velites being up front to throw their missiles/projectiles. What I need if someone could explain is some explanation of the group.

I know a century consisted of 60 men that were led by two centurions, the furthest right one being senior. You had the optio in the back to keep formation in line and a signifier which held the banner. Two of the centuries would make a maniple and I believe you had 10 maniples in the front for a total of 20 centuries which would be 660 men?

How were the men placed in the centuries? Was it 10 men side by side, 6 deep?

Does any have a drawing or ms paint that would help me see each individual century, in a maniple, in a cohort, up to a full legion. I'm not completely understanding Polybius and it would be more helpful to see a visual.

Also the Marian reform, how did that all change the lines? Did they keep the centuries?

Thanks!
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." ~Cicero

There is no clear answer as to how many ranks a century or maniple would be formed in, in reality it seems that the terrain and overall length of the battleline, as well as the type of enemy they are fighting, would dictate the length and depth of each unit, as well as the size of gaps.

Michael J. Taylor wrote about this subject, you might be able to find his papers on academia.edu. In one of them, I can't remember which one, that dealt with the gaps, he found sources that revealed in many Republic era battles the depth was between 3-6 ranks, mostly thinner.

As for Marius, I don't think there was any grand reforms of tactics, he simply standardized the cohort organization, which seems to have been used already by the Latin/Italian Socii infantry contingents, and was used in Spain by the Scipii Africani and others, as a another subunit, larger than a maniple, but smaller and better organized than a soldier class line or legion. Best comparison would be that in a world of Divisions, Regiments, and Companies, Marius standardized the use of Battalions, which allowed more flexibility in pitched battles and a much easier time organizing units for foraging, raiding, and other small details.

Polybius doesn't mention centuries as a fighting unit at all. But they are described by other writers of the late Republic like Sallust and Caesar. As are maniples and cohorts. So it would appear that they all still existed together. A Legion was the official unit, cohorts were the subunits that most generals actually maneuvered as tactical units, cohorts were made up of maniples, and centuries made maniples. But legions and maniples were administrative units, cohorts and centuries seem to be the tactical units.
Yes, Micheal emailed me, with his information on the manipular formation. It was a big help and answered a lot of my questions. Also thanks for the reply.
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." ~Cicero

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  “Acies quadratum” On the square formation of the Roman army Julian de Vries 12 2,146 09-19-2021, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Hanny
  Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms felixgallus 120 30,535 11-21-2017, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Bryan
  Gaius Marius Early Life & Battle Information Lewis Moorhead 5 2,171 05-21-2015, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Bryan