Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunkirk II Transgression
In winter the temperature of the stratosphere can also have an effect on the strength and position of the jet stream. The cooler the polar stratosphere, the stronger the polar/ tropical differential becomes; encouraging the jet stream to gain in strength. The warmth of the landmasses and oceans (such as the El Nino Southern Oscillation) can also have a bearing on the strength and amplitude of the jet stream.

An El Nino tye-in is not as far fetched as it would seem. Like I said, a shift in the Jetstream (amplitude) can effect the persistent winds in the North sea bassin, causing spring tides to be agrevated and causing a buildup of water along the coasts, both causing local flooding by the ocean itself, but also causing a buildup of riverwater in the upper reaches of the riversystem, water backing up as its runoff is restricted. I am not saying this happened, but it is another possibiliy for more and more massive flooding as opposed to sea-level rise.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Have glacial rebound and tectonic effects been studied? Certainly the south of britain has been sinking over time while the areas previously under the ice rose, but exactly when and by how much i don't know.. i think the reasons behind possible inundations are extremely complex, so I will leave it for better brains than mine to sort out!
Quote:Have glacial rebound and tectonic effects been studied? Certainly the south of britain has been sinking over time while the areas previously under the ice rose, but exactly when and by how much i don't know..!

That process is indeed happening, but it's a linear process which set in after the ice melted and it's still ongoing. The so-called Dunkirk II transgressions traditionally called for a rise in sea levels which then flooded the coast of the Low Countries. Personally I never understood a) why this did not affect other areas in a similar fashion, as well as b) why the sea levels apparently dropped - because the coarslines apparently became dry again. I mean look at the fort at Oudenburg, once close to shore, then abandoned due to the seas rising (..) and now quite land-locked miles from the coast! And all this within (geologically speaking) the blink of an eye. Which is why I'm happy with some explanation that calls for some human hand in all this.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Good grief! Apparently I am unable to communicate the natural processes which may cause periodic flooding without a permanent rise of the sealevel.
In my opion:
A. there was NO rise of the sealevel as such to speak of, as that would be a global occurance
B flooding was caused by springtides in combination with unfavourable weather conditions (northerly winds pushing water into the coast, the same conditions which cause 1953 in the NL) These weatherpatterns may well have been influenced by the amplitude of the jetstream, causing them to be more frequent
C most of the flooding further inland was caused by rivers exceding their boundries because of a blocked run-off due to high water tables in the shore area
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin