Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recent Museum Piece I Created.
Pictured here is a Hilt that I made that will be used and on display for the Philadelphia, PA based educational non-profit "A Day with Ancient Greece and Rome" for use in University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology http://www.penn.museum/.

This hilt was constructed for Joe Balmos to be used to show the differences in hilt construction. Joe provided me with a blade that Mark Morrow had in his sip that had been broken and yet perfect for this project.

He wants to be able to display it disassembled and yet be able to assemble it quickly for demonstration purposes. Each piece of the hilt is completely hand constructed and as precision fitted as possible. The request was to have the tip of the Tang threaded for this purpose and to be able to assemble it with a wing nut.

The Guard... at their request is made of Black Walnut and has an inset Brass Plate. The Grip is Premium Holly. Pommel is also made of Black Walnut with a contoured brass washer.

Each Piece is marked so that the hilt can quickly be assembled with a perfect fit each time. Everything fits snuggly.

I am happy that the Museum Approved the craftsmanship of this piece and look forward to doing more work for them or anyone else who might need my services.
[attachment=12487]IMG_4687.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12487]IMG_4687.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12488]IMG_4678.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=12489]IMG_4681.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12490]IMG_4682.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12491]IMG_4684.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12492]IMG_4680.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Beautiful work Patrick....well done mate.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Looks really excellent! Is it possible to see the whole blade perhaps?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
There is no whole blade - the broken hilt was converted to a "show and tell" piece - brilliantly!
Cheryl Boeckmann
Virilis... Here are two pictures of the blade. Like Athena Areias stated... this is for "Show and Tell" and I believe that they will allow people to possibly handle it assembled. The desire is to show how all of the components were made and fit together. It was made so all of the pieces fit tightly and can be assembled and disassembled. Thus... the "Wing Nut" for the Pommel.
[attachment=12493]19080623946_fb56339348_z.jpg[/attachment] This is the blade in an exploded view, showing each of the Hilt components.

[attachment=12494]19101141232_642c365c2a.jpg[/attachment] The design of the Hilt drawn out for client's approval. (Drawing doesn't show fluted
pommel.

[attachment=12495]19101141432_3465055782.jpg[/attachment] The blade as I received it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Also... I must say... that I am very impressed with Mark Marrow's blade, even though it is only a small section of the blade, (partial blade) I really liked working with it and it's quality.
Quote:Looks really excellent! Is it possible to see the whole blade perhaps?

As you know I present my pieces in museums and schools to educate folks in the materiel culture of the Ancient Mediterranean world. I wanted to show how simple yet technologically advanced these types of sword tang/hilt combinations were. I have lots of complete swords that I use, like that cool Len Morgan I bought from you a few months ago, but it's hard to get the concept across regarding sword construction looking at a fixed hilt on a blade. Pictures are OK, but having the kids being able to take apart and put back together a fairly accurate hilt I think will have more of an impact. The goal is not to get the kids interested in making swords, not a bad career though, rather to understand that they can apply their minds to a problem and come up with a solution that is both simple and functional, and better than what was then available, to be innovative if you will. Perhaps they can then take that understanding of the power of reason to create innovative solutions, which we all share, and apply it in some way to improve the condition of their lives. Most of my audience are poor inner city kids with bleak futures ahead of them.
Joe Balmos
Ok, thanks, very nice piece anyway. Wink
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Excellent work Patrick :-D as always, and also to you Joe on your education use of objects. I like the concept of great ideas put to good use :-D
Regards Brennivs :lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)