Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Spartan panoply at Thermopylae
Herodotus has Ephialtes differ Phokians from Spartans, which shouldn't have been much of a problem, not necessarily Spartans from all other Greeks.

But regardless, I would expect all Greeks recognizing Spartan contingent anyhow, since, especially such a picked group as one on Thermopylae, would include one of the richest, well equipped hoplites you could get at the time. Imagine seeing very random groups of hoplites with all kinds of equipment, age and shape, and then a group of long haired(?), well conditioned (following Xenophon Spartans distinguished themselves in this area), and more importantly well equipped and well organized men, with a possibly greater number of non combat personnel than others. You would know who are you dealing with even though they weren't as uniform in either equipment or blazons as pop culture has us believe.

I am still not fully convinced about the whole blazon thing being THAT defined as some on this forum suggest, but I guess there could have been some recognizable shield devices as well (not the lambda though).

Concerning 7.225, I wouldn't be as literal. Life was never a video game. You always have other non combatants, civilians, logistics, Spartans had helots or maybe even Periokoi, you had thousands of Greeks on Persian side etc. Information shouldn't have been too hard to get. You always have witnesses to those kind of events.
Gordan

,,The Greeks did not follow a straight path of military efficiency. They were guided, rather, by culture, especially by the legacy of their past.\'\'

Messages In This Thread
Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by Diomed - 07-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by Doc - 07-09-2015, 02:43 AM
Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by Vindex - 07-12-2015, 06:23 PM
Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by Goce - 07-14-2015, 04:26 AM
RE: Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by JoshoB - 11-03-2015, 10:28 AM
RE: Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by JoshoB - 11-05-2015, 10:14 PM
RE: Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by JoshoB - 11-07-2015, 12:22 AM
RE: Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by Romilos Lfc Fronimides - 08-12-2016, 01:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan/Thespian grave in Thermopylae? Giannis K. Hoplite 6 5,152 05-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite