Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazing and rare Roman find from N. Ireland
Just wonderful.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Indeed nice! And Late Roman Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Does this maybe mean that Romans might have traveled to Hibernia? I realize these pieces are most likely from a ship wreck but it could have a possibility the ship was traveling there in the first place.
Salvatore
Quote:Does this maybe mean that Romans might have traveled to Hibernia? I realize these pieces are most likely from a ship wreck but it could have a possibility the ship was traveling there in the first place.

By Christian missionaries.... if not trading directly....
One example is the similarity between Late Roman Shoes in Britain and Early Christian Irish footware, although the Irish examples are almost certainly made in Ireland....

These rings could also have been very old at the time they were lost....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
I see...
Salvatore
Also might have been taken from Britain by raiders. As Crispianus mentioned, they may have been quite old when lost, perhaps pirates from Dal Riada or elsewhere raided a monastery or other holding in Britain and then they were lost coming ashore.
Nate Hanawalt

"Bonum commune communitatis"
Quote:Does this maybe mean that Romans might have traveled to Hibernia? I realize these pieces are most likely from a ship wreck but it could have a possibility the ship was traveling there in the first place.
Why would Late Romans not travel to Ireland? As there was no perpetual war or some trade boycott, I don't see why they wouldn't. Actually there seems to have been quite some contact between the British isles and Ireland, because the sea was a connecting factor rather than a barrier.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Why would Late Romans not travel to Ireland? As there was no perpetual war or some trade boycott, I don't see why they wouldn't. Actually there seems to have been quite some contact between the British isles and Ireland, because the sea was a connecting factor rather than a barrier.

We find a certain segment of "historians" keen on wandering Romans reaching China. By simple mileage, Ireland was a lot closer. But, we must remember Ireland really didn't have much in the way of resources to offer the Romans... not even snakes. :dizzy:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote:
Robert Vermaat post=368254 Wrote:Why would Late Romans not travel to Ireland? As there was no perpetual war or some trade boycott, I don't see why they wouldn't. Actually there seems to have been quite some contact between the British isles and Ireland, because the sea was a connecting factor rather than a barrier.

We find a certain segment of "historians" keen on wandering Romans reaching China. By simple mileage, Ireland was a lot closer. But, we must remember Ireland really didn't have much in the way of resources to offer the Romans... not even snakes. :dizzy:

Ireland at least had the one universal commodity of the ancient world - slaves. I can see Romano-British slave traders making occasional voyages to Ireland. Like most Gaels the Irish engaged in inter-tribal warfare, and they took prisoners.
Pecunia non olet
Thanks for reminding me. I forgot about the marvelous commodity of human flesh, but not quite universal. I'm a Roxolanus, and we don't keep slaves. Wink
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Neither do Conan's Cimmerians. But then, they're fictional.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:Neither do Conan's Cimmerians. But then, they're fictional.

There's a plausibility that historical Cimmerians didn't keep slaves either. We don't know enough about them to create wise-cracks. As for the Roxolani-- the lead Alanic tribe to enter Roman space-- we can use Ammianus' discourse on the Alans: "They do not know the meaning of slavery, since all are born of noble blood." (AM; Book XXXI, 2.25)

That statement, in subtle fashion, seems to place the Alans morally above the Irish and Romans on the subject of human dignity Cool
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reopening the debate on Roman invasion of Ireland ParthianBow 14 3,017 02-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat