Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Influences over pc/modern warfare/military
Hi guys! I came upon this site in the process of researching for my essay for my classical study class. The essay's task that I must complete is to "Demonstrate understanding of the lasting influences of the classical world on cultures across time". I'm kind of last minute researching here as my paper is due in about 4 days Tongue but I plan to talk about roman military/warfare influences over time, even though I could easily talk a lot about architecture or engineering. The only ideas I have at the moment is how the Pike Square seems to be influenced by the Phalanx, however I also must talk a more modern time influence -_-. I have a feeling this will be hard to elaborate on but I'm going to give it a go. So the question is if anyone can give me atleast 2 more really good ideas to talk about in terms of military/warfare/weaponry/war leaders that I can talk alot about and i'm also looking for sources of primary source evidence, so any help would be definitely appreciated. Also if anyone could provide decent information on the phalanx/pike square as I must talk alot about it and the influences etc that would be great
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask questions like these so sorry in advance if its wrong forum Sad.

Cheers, J.
This has come up before. http://www.romanarmytalk.com/17-roman-mi...rfare.html

Lots of interesting discussions on this topic in various books, articles, and websites, as well.
Steve in WA

Pone hic aliqua ingeniosum.
It might be worthwhile to think about set piece battles. Organization of a Roman infantry for battle is quite similar to set piece battle formations of European infantry at least up to WWI.

Petrus Augustinus
(aka Pierre Kleff)
Petrus Augustinus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_of_...man_Empire
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Roman army rank structure, leading to a professional ladder for promotion.

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Quote:Roman army rank structure, leading to a professional ladder for promotion.

If we just would know, which terms are ranks, functions or rather titles in a modern sense. The discussion amongst historians ist still ongoing.
Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project- Influences of Roman military on modern day riot control JHCS 78 20,144 12-07-2016, 08:23 PM
Last Post: MonsGraupius
  Roman military tactics in modern riots? Epictetus 15 6,670 01-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Thomas Aagaard
  Roman Army Influence on Modern Warfare alastair 10 11,163 10-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Conal