Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spartacus Rebellion.
I am a prolific reader of Roman military history both fact and fiction, just having finished the two part series by Ben Kane on the Spartacus Slave Rebellion. I am a bit confused as to why there is so little written historical information about him. The Roman military culture and system appears to be that everything was noted and filed, yet a major event that threatened their very everyday lifestyle, was it appears, ignored by the scholars and leaders at that time.
What i'm thinking is because these "people" were of no consequence, so to ignore them was to make them go away. :!:
Spartacus wars was the third servile war, and the biggest out of the three. It was the last of the slave revolts in Rome that had any significance. Very little is known about it. Julius Caesar was supposedly recruited by Marcus Licinius Crassus, but that's not 100% for sure.

I remember reading it from Plutarch's books and it's been an awful long time since I've read them. I've never read Appian's historys, and I believe he may have some things on it as well.

Spartacus did do some significant damage and even defeated some of Romes legions, but that's mainly due to the Rome's Generals being careless and making poor decisions.

Spartacus last stand I believe if I'm correct was at Siler river. However his body was never found. All I know is Crixus was defeated by Gellius early on, Spartacus was all over Italy pillaging I suppose beat Gellius Lentulus, and engaged Crassus, and Spartacus's Army was defeated. I believe Pompey may have even taken credit for the defeat of Spartacus, even though he just caught off some of Spartacus's people that parted from the main Army.

Someone may be able to shed some more light on the subject.
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." ~Cicero

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Second Augustan in Boudican Rebellion Anonymous 7 2,364 04-12-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Hus