Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another project...Belts now!
Well I am back with more stuff I used up all my time on! After doing the hilt and one locket plate of my gladius (which I still need to post pictures of), I decided to take a little break from the sword project and focus on what holds the sword up! After I received some excellent info from Crispvs about belts in my period (Hadrianic in 122AD), and a little further searching, I began to make a set of belts! By now probably a lot of you will be thinking "Hey they only used crossed belts in the early empire!" but surprisingly that is not true! Crispvs made me aware of an archive that attests to double belts being worn in the Second century! So eager to be the "Different one" in my legion, I jumped on it! Big Grin And I just won't be the only one with two belts - I will be the only one with colorful enamel plates. Most of us sadly look quite Flavian with the concentric circle belts :mad:

Well on to the specifics... The plates will be of two types: one with red, blue, and white enamel while the other uses green and white enamel. The green and white one will suspend my pugio, while the blue, red, and green one will hold my sword up. With no Second Century pugio frogs, I had to match a hinged plate originally for a buckle with a simple frog to make the frogs. Overall, I am quite happy with the few parts that I have stamped out.

Pictures will be added below in a few minutes!!! Smile Smile Smile
Regards, Jason
Here are the beautiful plates! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Oh and just as a note, the smaller piece is one of the little terminal pendants that are an evolution of the original apron and are attached to the tips of lengthened belt ends.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Regards, Jason
Nice, but sure will look better if you take a file and clean the surfaces of the borders to take off the marks of the cutting tools.
Yeah I still need to do that. I plan to file them down when I am done with all the plates. I still have one more pugio frog and a buckle to do as well as another little terminal.
Regards, Jason
It's a nice project, but you probably should have finished all of the metal work before starting the enamel. I would be really tragic if you went through the enamel process then made a mistake trying to file or clean up the metal work.
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org